brit nappy ?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brit nappy ?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Nappy
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.
Who watches the “Watchmen”?

Published in 1986, Watchmen is a graphic novel written by Alan Moore, drawn by Dave Gibbons, and colored by John Higgins. It is on Time’s List of the 100 Best Novels since 1923. Watchmen is considered one of the most, if not the most, influential work in the comic book genre because of its approach to characters, narrative, structure, and the genre itself. 

Watchmen takes place in an alternate America: the United States won the Vietnam War, Watergate never happened, and Nixon has been president for 17 years. The Civil Rights Movement never happened because the Minutemen, a state-sponsored group of vigilantes, suppressed dissent and kept people under their thumb. All other forms of vigilantism have been made illegal, but some continue to operate outside the law. 

“Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, ‘Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.’ Man bursts into tears. Says, ‘But doctor…I am Pagliacci.’” – Alan Moore, Watchmen

Who are the heroes?

The heroes in Watchmen are fatally-flawed individuals who break convention because of their imperfections. The characters have a nihilistic approach to reality, leading them to act without concern for the impact of their actions. They often disregard the justice they are supposed to uphold. For example, through a flashback, one character realizes they have committed war crimes in Vietnam. Yet, upon this revelation, he is indifferent because he believes his life is meaningless. 

“What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders, who inflict their will wherever they choose, and who frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?” -Captain America: Civil War

Watchmenreads as a thoughtful criticism of the fascist tendencies of the superhero genre, although this was not the intention of its creators. Moore sees his characters as sociopaths and nutcases, but people tend to group them with other comic books characters of the time that tackled themes of fascism. 

While superheroes are not inherently fascist, they often have characteristics that make them read as such. Heroes who act as the judge, jury, and executioner are criticized for this, as well as those who have a disregard for collateral damage. They adopt the ‘us versus them’ mindset where “Those who died were bad people, and we’re the good people.”When the reader asks what makes a story’s hero good and separates their actions from those of the villain, these themes are clearer to see and deconstruct. 

What does the “Watchmen” stand for?

It is also important to note that Watchmen came out during the 1980s when Reagan’s brand of conservatism ran supreme in the United States. Moore wanted to question the merits of an economic system that abandoned the working class and sought to ‘rescue’ them with supply-side economics. He saw how comfortable Americans were with Reagan, and he wanted to challenge their politics through his graphic novel. 

“But the country’s disintegrating. What’s happened to America? What’s happened to the American dream?”

“It came true. You’re lookin’ at it.” – Alan Moore, Watchmen

With the rise of authoritarianism, there is no better time to read Watchmen and its thoughtful critique of our world. The graphic novel will soon be adapted on HBO, for those who want to watch it on-screen as well. While it won’t be a direct adaptation, it’ll use similar theme and characters to continue the story. It is an understandable choice, as the original material is famously difficult to adapt. For those interested, watch the teaser (above).

Second-year at DU majoring in film production and international studies and minoring in Spanish. I am also currently learning Mandarin and I love learning languages! I also sing in the women's choir and DU, love spending time with my friends and watching movies all the time! I also love learning about astrology and philosophy!
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.