Top Female TV Characters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

As we wrap up Women’s Month, I want to take a minute to recognize some of my favorite female TV characters. These characters are strong women of the twenty-first century. When I watch them on TV, I want to find ways to be like each of them.

Abby Sciuto from NCIS

Abby Sciuto was one of my first character idols. I love her and what she represents. She is intelligent, talented, funny, and loving. She knows who she is and never compromises on that. Abby is quirky with her gothic style and a consistently happy attitude. For me, she represents a modern woman who knows herself without a doubt and won’t take shit from anyone. She loves and cares for her family (real and work) without it being her entire life. Abby seems to have it all, but that doesn’t matter to her. She represents the working woman without all the constant criticism about not starting a family. Everyone accepts that she should be the one doing her job because she is the best.

Kat Edison (left), Jane Sloan(middle), and Sutton Brady (right) from The Bold Type

There’s a reason this show is titled the way it is, because these three women are “bold” in the American society we live in today. They are ambitious in their work without sacrificing their dreams. Sutton may have a degree in business, but she knows fashion is her true calling. They question everything, even themselves. Kat re-examines her sexuality because she falls for a beautiful woman; this then makes her question what she’s doing with her life and what she really wants to do. Jane fought for and achieved her dream job, but then has to answer what’s next? These women aren’t content with static lives, they want more. Today, women always wanting and fighting for more or better isn’t received well, but these three women don’t care. They love and support each other as friends should, and never let each other take the easy way out. Women who fight for each other and push each to be better are the best type of feminist in this modern world.

Olivia Pope from Scandal

I just recently began watching Scandal on Netflix, and I already adore the character of Olivia Pope. Olivia is the most optimistic political character I have ever seen. She believes that there is always a way to ‘fix’ a problem. While she does have her faults, especially with her affair, she reminds us that no one is perfect. Olivia could be called a “workaholic,” but she is that by choice. She is a powerful woman in Washington, but isn’t considered a bitch. Olivia Pope represents the changing times in American politics and hierarchy. She reminds us that people should not be placed in constricting boxes.

Stef and Lena Adams Foster from The Fosters

Stef and Lena Adams Foster are the most amazing TV moms to exist in a long time. They are one of the most real couples on TV. They have their ups and downs, but they manage to keep the family together through everything. As parents, Stef and Lena have had to deal with an abnormally large amount of drama with their children, but they do what any parent would do: their best. These women have found a way to push through everything thrown their way, even if their first reactions aren’t ideal. When it comes to looking at relationships portrayed on TV, Stef’s and Lena’s is one that gives me hope. They support each other with their ambitions at work and they are a team at home.

I am a senior at the University of Denver double majoring in International Studies and History. I love to read, write, and knit. Being a part of HerCampus is great because I get to write about important and fun topics that have absolutely nothing to do with my coursework.