Laptop Jeans Ripped Study School
Laptop Jeans Ripped Study School
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

Tips for Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Beginning your first year of college can be a daunting idea––especially in the midst of a global pandemic. However, there is no need to worry, because you are not alone in navigating this new way of life. Here are a few tips for you to have your best first year (coming from an incoming junior!)

BE OPEN-MINDED

This tip is extremely important in breaking you out of your comfort zone. Don’t be afraid to meet new people or take up a new hobby! You are in a completely new environment, so naturally there will be a lot of changes­­––try to embrace them.

GET INVOLVED

Signing up for clubs and campus activities is a great way to meet new friends and gain new life experiences. You may even find something new that you love!

ASK QUESTIONS

There are many great resources on campus for you to take advantage of. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors, RA, or your roommate! Every upperclassman has been in your position and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

TIME MANAGEMENT

Learn to manage your time so you can have fun with new friends and still maintain your grades. Get a planner to help you stay organized and focused.

TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF

Self-care is extremely important and will allow you to unwind and settle into your new space. This can include exercising, meditating, journaling, or whatever works best for you. Take some time to explore the campus and surrounding area, so you can become comfortable in your surroundings. School can be an overwhelming experience at times, and it’s okay if you miss home or you are struggling with adjusting to college life.

CAMPUS RESOURCES

Use as many of the resources the university has to offer! This may include health services (i.e. a doctor or therapist), the gym, writing center, career services, and more! All of these wonderful resources are included in your tuition and are designed to help students like you.

BE YOURSELF

Don’t get down on yourself if you don’t make 30 friends within your first week. Let the relationships happen naturally with people you meet in class or on your floor. Remember to stay positive and have fun!

I am a junior at The University of Denver. I am double majoring in international studies and journalism with a minor in marketing. A few of my favorite activities are cooking, painting, listening to music, spending time with friends and swimming in the lakes in Minnesota. I have always had a love for writing!
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.