Taking Self Defense Into Our Own Hands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

In light of the unsettling events that took place last year on campus, we thought it would be a good idea to put together a list of some of the best tips for keeping yourself safe.

•  Have campus safety and campus escorts in my phone on speed dial.

Escort Line 303-871-2334               Campus Safety 303-871-3000

• Always carry a portable phone charger so your phone never dies
  • Have pepper spray on your key ring. Here is the Link to purchase them on Amazon!
  •  Look up some basic self-defense moves on You Tube.
  • Have a code word with your friends that you can say or text to get out of any type of situation.
  • You could put a jingle bell on your door handle so that you can hear it open even if you’re sleeping.
  • Never walk alone at night, always walk with a friend.
  • Walk inside as much as you can. 
  • If you must walk alone at night, wear a big dark hoodie with the hood up. This is what you would typically avoid if you saw it, and it also makes you seem bigger than you truely are. 

These are some great responses, but there is always more that can be done. The University of Denver’s Campus Safety is now offering 90 minute self deffense classes that will teach basic self deffense techniques along with avoidance techniques. These classes are free and are open to students, faculty, and staff of all genders and ages. Fourteen free classes will be offered starting on September 24th, 2015 running until May 19th, 2016. In addition to basic self deffense classes, Rape Aggression Defense classes for men and women are being offered. R.A.D. classes for women are a total of 15 hours while being spread out over 3 days. There are currently 3 seperate 15 hour classes scheduled for the 2015-216 school year. The R.A.D. classes for men are typically 10 hours in length while being spread out over many days. There are currently no classes scheduled on the Campus Safety webpage, but to set up a class with 5 or more men, email the R.A.D coordinator to schedule a session.

For more information and to register for a class, follow this link to the Campus Safety Class Offerings webpage and follow the directions given.

Molly is from Salina, Kansas and is a second year at the University of Denver. She is currently an International Studies and French major. When Molly isn't writing for HC, she is working as a swim instructor for a private company teaching little kiddos! If she's not working she loves hanging out at Kaladi Brothers Coffee, or thrifting at local thrift shops. Molly is involved in humanitarian organizations and the french club on campus! Molly's motto is, "Follow your arrow no matter where it points".