Taking the Leap: Studying Abroad in England

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Getting the chance to study abroad is nearly every college students’ dream. When I learned about DU’s wonderful study abroad opportunities I was nervous but eager to take the plunge. I went through the strenuous process of searching through the long list of schools, applying, getting my passport, and the mounds of paperwork that followed. It felt as if the day I would step foot on an airplane and actually arrive at my destination would never come… but it did (of course).

On Saturday, September 21 I arrived in London, England with nothing but two suitcases. It was surreal to land after a nine-hour flight, go through customs, get my visa stamp, and meet my group in the airport. We all took a bus approximately 40 minutes to the town of Reading where we are going to study. I was about to experience a new culture in a place far from home, further than I have ever gone before.

Tower of London on my second day in England

Although I have only been here for a few days, my expectations as to what life would be like in another country are already much different than the realities. Culture shock is a real thing, even in a country that appears as if it would be similar to the United States. DU’s mandatory study abroad course and orientations are now extremely meaningful as I navigate these new feelings. 

One of the things I am extremely grateful for is how friendly and welcoming the locals are, far different from how people interact in the States. As an American stepping foot into basically another world, I am trying my best to be open to new customs and traditions, however strange they may seem.

Lydia Agyemang (left) and me (right) posing by the Tower Bridge… gorgeous, right?!

If I could offer any sort of advice to the new group of students planning to apply for study abroad, I would say do not be afraid to take that leap. It is an intimidating, scary process, but it is an experience you won’t regret. With my study abroad program, run by International Studies Abroad, I have enough support (available if I need it) while also having the freedom to be independent. Find the program that works for you, it is definitely out there!

I have months to go before returning home, but I already feel as if I am transforming as a person within the few days I have been here. I can’t wait to see where this journey takes me!

Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.