harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Surround Yourself in Relaxing Smells

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

One simple way to reset yourself is to take a moment to stop and smell the roses, literally. Well, not quite, as maybe you need to stop and smell some lavender, or chamomile. Either way, here is a list of a few classic scents to invest in for future serenity. 

Classic Chamomile

If you’re looking for a smell to help calm the mind and aid in falling asleep, maybe find a chamomile lotion or even essential oil. According to monq, Roman chamomile has been shown in research to aid in the release of certain hormones that trigger drowsiness and relieve stress. They suggest the following:

A. Apply chamomile oil directly to the skin. Mix seven to ten drops of the essential oil with 25mL of a carrier oil such as olive or sunflower oil before applying.

B. Add five to ten drops of chamomile oil to a warm bath.

C. Use chamomile essential oil in a diffuser. An oil diffuser will help distribute the soothing scent of chamomile throughout the room, creating a restful environment.

Loving Lavender 

If you’d like a bit of lovely lavender to calm those nerves and settle the nettle, add a drop or two into your shampoo or in a diffuser. Lavender is fairly strong and can be enjoyed purely on its own or in a blend. On its own, you can drop a few drops into your shampoo or bath, which will diffuse if you don’t overdo it (up to 5 drops in your shampoo and 10 in a bath! It’s a fairly strong oil and your skin could have a reaction). If you get your hands on lavender herb, fresh or dried, you can make a soothing lavender hot chocolate perfect for the changing weather! Heat up milk as you would for hot chocolate and add a sprig or two of lavender to it. Strain the milk out when you add your hot cocoa mix of choice and enjoy a creamy treat that is just as aromatic as it is warm. 

Jazzy Jasmine

Not only is this a cute little flower, but jasmine has been known for centuries to have aromatherapy benefits. According to Dr. Axe, jasmine is “a popular natural remedy for improving mood, overcoming stress and balancing hormones.” When feeling anxious, having trouble sleeping, or being stressed out, be sure to take a sniff of some jasmine! 

Homemade Jasmine Oil Perfume by Dr. Axe: 

Ingredients: 30 drops jasmine oil, 5 drops vanilla essential oil, 5 drops lavender essential oil, 5 drops orange essential oil, 2 tablespoons vodka, 1 tablespoon orange blossom water (or distilled water)

Directions:

1. Mix the essential oil blend with the vodka in a glass mason jar or bottle, and leave it to sit on a countertop for two days. Keep it covered and somewhere that’s room temperature and away from the sun.

2. Add the orange blossom water or distilled water, and stir together. Add the mixture to an old perfume spray bottle or regular aluminum spray bottle. Keep the mix somewhere around room temperature, and use on your skin, clothes, sheets, rugs, etc.

Blended Scents 

Lavender blend:

Lavender is a lovely oil to enjoy on it’s own but can add strength to any blend! For a nice soothing and strengthening blend, mix a few drops of lavender and rosemary into a carrier oil such as coconut or jojoba. For an uplifting cheer, mix a few drops of lavender and sweet orange to a carrier and massage into your muscles in the morning or after a shower for some relief from everyday life. Spice it up with lavender, frankenscence and lemongrass for a crisp and woodsy meditative blend.

Lemongrass blend:

Lemongrass and tea tree with rosemary would clear up a stuffy room diffused throughout, as tea tree is antibacterial and lemongrass is cleansing.

Pro tip: for a quick diffuser, if you have access to a stove or a hot plate, fill a mug or a small pot with water and add a few drops of essential oil (whatever your blend and vibe of choice is) and wait for the water to heat up!

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.
Neck deep in her third year of Psychology and French at DU, this double major has a soft spot for plants, puns, and layering face masks. Director of Events for Her Campus DU, connoisseur of chaos, and proclaimer of words. If there is a problem, coconut oil is likely the solution.