jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks Tips from a Former Barista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

It’s that time of year again when all of the ‘basic’ college girls go crazy over Pumpkin Spice Lattes; and if you’re anything like me, your Starbucks visits are not isolated to autumn. If you find yourself sipping from those green straws a few times a month or more, there are some things you should know from a former barista to help you get the most out of your experience.

1. Be cautious about mixing many different flavors

Yes, vanilla and caramel syrup sounds like a delicious combination, but know what you’re getting yourself into first. Most Starbucks drinks follow a basic formula: three pumps of syrup flavoring in a Tall, four pumps in a Grande, and five in a Venti (six if your drink is iced). Each time you add another flavor, you’re adding three to six full pumps of sugary syrup to your drink. The result? Your Venti Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha will contain 94 grams of sugar. No, that was not a mistype!! If you’re looking to add a lot of flavors to your drink, specify the number of pumps you want to lessen the damage. 

2. Realize what you’re really getting when you order a Venti

A lot of people order Venti lattes when they feel like they need an extra boost of caffeine to get them going in the morning. The only problem? Hot Venti lattes contain the exact same amount of caffeine as Grande lattes. Yep, they both have 2 shots of espresso in them. So what are you paying for when you order that bigger size? More steamed milk and more sugar if your drink is flavored. If you want more caffeine, ask for an extra shot in your latte.

3. Don’t order a nonfat cappuccino

Cappuccinos are pretty delicious. Believe me, I appreciate the beauty that is milk foam. But if you want good foam, you should stick with the 2% milk and if you want really good foam your best bet is whole milk. Hint: this is why those cappuccinos and lattes in Italy taste so amazing. Nonfat foam is really difficult to make and has a pretty blah texture. If you’re going for the cap, go all out. If nonfat milk is a must, I’d stick with a latte. 

4. Those pastries in the case are not as fresh as you might think!

Starbucks stores don’t have little bakeries in the back like an Einsteins or a Panera. Their pastries have always been made out-of-store and shipped in. Recently, they moved to a system of using frozen pastries that thaw overnight. So if you’re going to order a bagel, just know it’s not much different from one you could have at home (and it’s a lot more expensive!).

5. Not everything can be made “skinny”

Certain Starbucks lattes are available in a “skinny” version, which means they are made with nonfat milk and sugar-free syrup. However, most of the specialty syrups (Pumpkin Spice, Gingerbread, Peppermint, and White Mocha to name a few) do not have a sugar-free counterpart. The skinniest these lattes come is nonfat, no-whip. This shaves off over 100 calories, but you’re still getting 50 grams of sugar in a Grande sized Pumpkin Spice Latte (A.K.A. more than your average can of soda). It might be a good idea to make these drinks a special occasion indulgence rather than your morning go-to. 

Now go forth and Pumpkin Spice responsibly!

I am a senior at the University of Denver studying English and Economics. I love watching football, wine nights with my best friends, traveling, exploring my city, and I can't start my day without a cup of coffee. Follow me on instagram @lexihoffman12