books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Spring Break Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

On the brink of finishing winter quarter, all I can think about is doing the one thing that I almost never have time to do during the quarter—read. Of course I get to read things like Weber and Durkheim for class, but that’s not what I’m talking about; I’m talking about READING. As in recreationally. I know some of you may find it odd that I’m actually looking forward to reading for my spring break; but hey, we all have our quirks. So without further ado, I present my 2018 Spring Break Reading List.

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (Fantasy)

“The Dream Chooses the Dreamer, Not the Other Way Around—”

Lazlo Strange, war orphan and Junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose the wrong brain to inhabit. Since he was five years old, he has been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than him to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself in the person of Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors causing Lazlo to chose between seizing his chance or losing his dream forever.

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Contemporary)

“What the world needs now is a book like this. A book filled with warmth and wisdom, about the families we create.” – Bill Konigsberg

The First Day of Senior Year: Everything is about to change. Until this moment, Sal has always been certain of his place with his adoptive gay father and their loving Mexican-American family. But now his own history unexpectedly haunts him, and life-altering events force him and his best friend, Samantha, to confront issues of faith, loss, and grief.

Suddenly Sal’s throwing punches, questioning everything, and discovering that he no longer knows who he really is—but if Sal’s not who he thought he was, who is he?

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (Urban Fantasy)

“There’s No Such Thing as Safe in a City Full of Monsters.”

Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father to prove she’s worthy to stand beside him and lead their city. August Flynn wants to be human, buut he isn’t. He’s a monster who can steal souls with a song. His own father’s secret weapon.

Their city is divided. Their city is crumbling. Kate and August are the only two who see both sides. They are the only two who could do something. But how do you decide whether to be a hero or a villain when it’s hard to tell which is which?

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (Fantasy)

“This time-traveling adventure is rich in detail, the slow-burning relationship between Etta and Nicholas will leave many readers breathless, and the startling cliffhanger will reel them back for the next installment.” – Booklist

In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not only miles, but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she never heard of. Until now.

The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (Historical Fiction)

“An outrageously fun, witty, fascinating, and romantic adventure.” – Dahlia Adler

Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome.

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (Fantasy)

“Prepare to be Dazzled by a World of Parallel Londons—Where Magic Thrives, Starves, or Lies Forgotten, and Where Power can Destroy Just as Quickly as it can Create.”

Welcome to Grey London, dirty and boring, without any magic, with one mad king—George III. Then there is Red London, where life and magic are revered, and White London, a city slowly being drained through magical war, down to its very bones. And once upon a time there was a Black London… But no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler—one of the last magicians who can travel between the worlds—acting as ambassador and messenger between Londons, in service of the Maresh empire. Unofficially, he’s a smuggler, which is a dangerous hobby to have—as proved when Kell stumbles into a setup with a forbidden token from Black London.

All book cover photos were taken from Goodreads!

Hey all! I'm a senior international studies and criminology double major at DU. Graduation is on teh horizon and I'm enjoying my last weeks as an Undergrad.