A Satire Reminding Us About the Benefits of Socialism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Currently, the United States of America is suffering economically. Our economy is dying from unemployment, cheaper foreign imports and advanced technology that’s stealing blue collar jobs. However, the solution some are proposing for this problem is even scarier than our economy: socialism. Socialism is a satanic device used to corrupt the minds of the masses! Socialism brain washes its followers into believing that all citizens should have access to basic needs– even if they do not work full time! Ridiculous, I know! The most horrendous part of this solution is its push on raising taxes for the rich (labeled the 1%) and giving this tax money to the government. Then, the government distributes the money through programs that provide basic needs to the other citizens in America (labeled the 99%, i.e. lower, middle, and some upper class Americans) who earn the profits for the 1%. Madness, I say! If the upper-upper class were taxed in order to support the people who perform the labor intensive work for them, what’s next? Taxing the upper-upper class in order to give workers the ability to continue to drive back and forth to work is clearly not the answer to our economic problems.

The fact of the matter is that people deserve what they earn, not the basic necessities in life: food, clothing and water. The liberals are not only wrong but outrageous. When you are born in America, there is a choice to take advantage of opportunities and move up the economic ladder in order to achieve the “American Dream.” This climb is real and obtainable to all people. Taxing the rich, taking their hard earned money, and giving it to people who are not attempting the climb is not allowing people to keep what they earn. People are able to buy necessities themselves if they are working; therefore, taxing the rich to pay for supplies of others is not a reasonable solution. People deserve to keep what they earn. You can always prosper economically in America despite being born into poverty or enduring early childhood difficulties. Anyone is able to make it. Nonetheless, the decision to move up the economic ladder is in the hands of each individual and depends only on how much they want it and are willing to work hard.

In America, personal upbringing is never a factor holding people back from reaching their full potential. If born into the 99%, you can make it into the 1%. Despite the lack of finances to afford specialized tutors pushing you to perform your personal best on achievement testing; despite the lack of finances to buy basic school supplies needed to succeed academically. You can achieve the same as someone with those financial privileges, for you only have to work harder than them. It is all about persevering through these tough times and not letting silly challenges keep you from your goals.

Even though working at a full time, minimum wage job pays an annual income categorized as being below poverty, you can make it. Even though obtaining a little more than below poverty makes one ineligible for other welfare programs (i.e. SNAPS, WIC, etc.) forcing you to replace that aid with the extra money you have earned and pushing you back into below poverty, you can make it to the 1%. Just figure out how to balance your budget to afford more than you earn. Save your money instead of buying necessities (like food) when they are needed. We should not be the ones to pay for your programs to continue until you have saved enough money to have a fighting chance at financial success. We are not here to hand out tips or charity, but we are here to motivate you to achieve the best you can in life.

Who cares if your name is correlated to black culture? Who cares if this forces you to send out twice as many resumes to get the same number of callbacks as someone who has a name associated with white culture? Who cares if the resumes are identical except for the names? That does not matter as long as you continue to work hard, send out double the resumes, and keep pushing yourself to overcome the stereotypes our culture unintentionally created for you.

So what if you are queer and cannot find a place to work because discrimination is prevalent? So what if the sexual identity you are born with prevents you from applying for loans or scholarships for schools or school itself? So what if loving another person of the same sex prevents you from getting the raise someone else less qualified than you received? So what if you have always known you are female in your heart but for some reason fate messed up the hormones and gave you a penis?  Once discovered, your boss terminates your employment. So what? Find a community accepting of identities different from our social norms and move there.

Despite having no arms or legs from fighting in Afghanistan, there are still jobs out there for you. Humans are mentally capable of many tasks. All you need is perseverance. Despite not having a higher education due to deploying when you were going to go to school, you can find a white collar job only open to those with higher education. Another way to succeed is going back to college with your PTSD and poor finances (assuming you were not high rank). All you have to do is put your mind to these tasks and work hard.

We do not need to fix people’s problems of finding jobs or support them until they can survive independently. People should be able to find jobs that are a good fit for them. People can push through the walls our system has accidentally created to keep low-income, minority people from living a comfortable life without aid. I know all people in America can do this because I was able to do so myself. I grew up with many challenges which attempted to keep me from performing my best. My parents were divorced before I was born giving me this complex that I was somehow the problem between them, giving me a bad perspective of myself. This was not the bad perspective that systematic oppression can give to a person, but an internalized complex that I myself was able to overcome. Despite these odds stacked against me, I was able to take over my dad’s company and keep it successfully running. If I can achieve the American Dream, anyone can.

Now, some might say it’s a little insensitive and “inhumane” to keep basic needs (i.e. health care, food and shelter) from the masses, but we are not keeping it from them. Rather, we want them to earn it for themselves. This is not an example of us being greedy, but rather us wanting to keep all the money we have earned through hard work and not invest it back into our economy. Instead we invest our money in order to accumulate more money. This profit allows us the ability to create more employment, without changing the obstacles (which certain folks face) to create a more accepting work force. We also give people the opportunity to earn as much money as we deem acceptable; or in other words, the minimal amount of money we legally must pay due to liberal labor laws. Some might suggest it’s illogical to ask a person to work when they are physically/socially/economically not capable of doing so, but they are mistaken and overlook one truth: humans can do anything if they put their minds to it.

So, I feel we should realize that all people in America can reach any goal they have as long as they put their mind to it. And remember, “I’m possible” is in the word “impossible.” :)

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.