Life > Academics

Returning to In-Person Classes after a Year of Distance Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

My first day back in class was definitely a strange experience. After sitting behind a screen for a year and a half, being in an actual classroom felt like a brand new ordeal. With few exceptions, I have not had the opportunity to learn from an in-person class and have the real college experience during my first year at a university. While most people, myself included, are thrilled about returning to in-person learning, it is hard not to consider things such as a semi-new social setting, written notes and tests, and the non-subtle transition from online to in-person learning.

My first day back in a real classroom felt like pure culture shock in comparison to the last year or so of attending class from my dorm room. When I walked into the auditorium-style classroom, I felt like it was my first day of freshman year, despite being a sophomore. I got this feeling because I felt all the things I was nervous about for my first day of school- a new place, new people, and a totally new environment. This did not align with what I experienced exactly, as being on campus for a year helped me get to know my classmates and figure out where all the buildings are for the time that classes would actually happen within them.

In the first session of one class, my teacher announced that we would not be able to use our laptops in the class unless for a specific class activity. This information immediately made me nervous for three reasons- most of the notes I take are online, I bought an e-textbook for the class, and I am simply used to correlating learning with having my laptop with all supplemental information in front of me. I also felt confused about this rule, especially considering that I thought there would be a little bit more of a smooth transition from online learning to in-person learning.

The lack of transition is one that is undoubtedly stressing many college students that have endured a year based purely off of Zoom calls and Canvas quizzes. All of my classes are in-person, which is definitely an experience that I appreciate, but also one that is nerve-wracking. This is a whole new experience for me and several of my classmates. My biggest wish for the year is that all professors are truly understanding of the changes that we are going through with this school year.

Despite the general nervousness of an entirely different learning environment, I am excited to have real classes. It is one of the pieces of the traditional college experience that I have not gotten to enjoy. If you feel the same, remember that several people are in the exact same boat as you. With a global event that has definitely affected everyone in your community, there is always someone to relate to.

Hi! My name is Amanda Barnett, and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at DU. I am from Holly Springs, Mississippi. I am currently a junior double majoring in Psychology and Criminology. Some of the topics I am the most passionate about are human rights, music, movies, feminism, and politics.