This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

I’ve always appreciated my education. As a kid, I would get bummed about summer or winter break simply because I didn’t want to stop learning! I approached each reading assignment eagerly knowing that it would lead to an essay where I could share my opinions on the stories. Even when I felt stressed about math assignments and annotations that were due, in the back of my mind I still always felt a sense of joy.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Ever since middle school, I knew I wanted to go to college. As a physically disabled young adult, there are not a lot of job opportunities I could pursue without a degree. I can’t work part-time at a Mcdonald’s (nor do I want to), so I invest every part of me in my education. This obstacle sometimes leads to mental and physical breakdowns, as my body fatigues much sooner than my mind. But I take those moments and embrace them; I’m allowed to be upset with the circumstances. I take that momentum and use it to create a plan for my week so I can complete everything on time. Sometimes this means I have to wake up 30 minutes early, other times it means prioritizing some assignments over others. 

My passion for education motivates me at the times I need it most. Just the other day I didn’t do anything other than eat a few snacks and watch TV. I felt terrible at the time. I shamed myself for the lack of productivity. After this, however, I felt well rested for the next few days and used it to get me through the rest of the week. 

Woman in White Bed Holding Remote Control While Eating Popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

Education is important for everyone and there are times in our lives when it matters more. For me, I think I will always have the drive to learn and will always get giddy when something clicks in my mind. Once I finish my undergraduate studies, I think I’ll be returning to school again.

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!
I am a Senior at the University of Denver studying Communication Studies, Marketing, and Writing Practices. I love photography, exercise, reading, and trying new foods. I am currently one of the CC's here at HCDU.