This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

With the topic of the week being powerful women, the first thing that came to my mind was Superwoman. While Wonder Woman is a clear icon of feminism in comic books, I wanted to share two other heroes that equally embody empowerment and justice.​

Starfire from Teen Titans

Starfire is one of my all time favorite superheroes, partially because she has a heart of gold and wouldn’t hurt a fly, and partially because she has some dope powers. Starfire is a Tamaranean, an alien race that is ruled by a matriarchy (nice!), and after fleeing her home planet, she fell in love with Earth along with its inhabitants. She decided to stay on Earth and start the superhero group Teen Titans because all she wanted to do was help people. Even when her race invited her back home to become their queen, Starfire refused because she wanted to continue helping people on Earth. Her powers include flying, shooting starbolts, and absorbing ultraviolet radiation.

Zatanna from Justice League

Zatanna is a bit less known than Starfire, but still packs a mean punch. Her day job is acting as a magician to entertain people and making some extra cash– the irony being that she can actually use magic! Born from sorcerers, Zatanna can use magic in any number of forms, from making things levitate to transporting people to alternate dimensions. Even though she was cursed to never see her father again, she never forgot his desire to be a hero, and ended up joining the Justice League. The reason she stands out from other magic users like John Constatine is that Zatanna refuses to kill with her magic (sorry batman, you’re not that special).

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.