The Politics of Activism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

While it may be easy to share articles, politicians’ tweets, or vent on Facebook about the government shutdown, it is much harder to turn this passive activism into active political activism. According to voter turnout results, young voters are far more disinterested in politics than older age groups, but many people still find college campuses a place of not only strong beliefs but activism as well. Caroline Murray, former president of College Republicans, and a recent DU alum now studying at American University School of International  Service, was willing to speak about her experience in engaging in activism on campus.

Q: When in your college (or high school) career did you become a political activist? What inspired you?

A: I became a political activist when I was nine. My dad was a councilman; my grandma regularly watches the news. When I interned at the Ohio House of Representatives and for Senator Rob Portman’s re-election, I was able to interact with members of my community back home in Ohio. That inspired me to continue working in politics.

Q: What do you think defines a “politically active” individual?

A: Anyone who tweets/posts a news article on social media to anyone who runs for office is politically active as long as they discuss politics or promote their opinions.

Q: Do you feel like you, or the College Republicans organization, has made an impact on campus, or in the city of Denver?

A: Yes, because we work with local GOP groups and campaigns. Without [students’] input, status-quo policies will continue.

Q: What were the goals for the organization when you were President? Did you accomplish them?

A: I wanted to increase chapter membership. Yes, I did and made incredible friendships along the way.

Q: What were some of the challenges you or the organization face considering most colleges are liberal-leaning?

A: Recruiting, and name-calling (a Carly Fiorina mural by a club member was vandalized, and we got called the Young KKK at Pio Carnival.) But mostly, people are kind.

Q: How can student political organizations not ostracize students, especially since politics is a very personal matter?

A: By not being abrasive.

Q: What advice would you give to students in becoming politically active?

A: Read news, history, and political/economic theory. A lot of activists are good at reciting slogans, but they struggle with theory. People should be comfortable with their activism. For example, I don’t like protesting but I like to mentor and inform people about less covered issues like Appalachian poverty, the opioid crisis, and issues in Russia, so my activism mostly focuses on that.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Caroline. 

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.