Playoff Fever Plagues DU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

April? Midterms? You mean Stanley Cup Playoffs? You better believe it. Although I’m still super bitter about my team not making the playoffs (I still love you, Sharks), I love walking around campus and seeing students in their Canucks hats, Flames jerseys, and Preds shirts. Playoff fever is upon us, and whether you’re from Chi-Town or Hockeytown, DU knows how to get into the Stanley Cup spirit.

I came across a tweet the other day that said, “Is there any time of year that’s better than the NHL playoffs? No. The answer is no.” Well, judging from all the NHL paraphernalia on campus, the watch parties in the Towers lobby and the amount of computer screens with NBCSports on during lectures, I have a feeling that a lot of students would agree with that statement. “The playoffs are my favorite time of the year. Growing up, my family and I watched them every year. At this point, it almost feels a little wrong missing the Stanley Cup Finals,” said Libby McCaslin, a first year from Nebraska.

But is it really all fun and (hockey) games? Not according to freshman AJ Stowell; “My roommate and I argue on a daily basis about the Blues winning the cup. I just hate the Blues since Stastny left the Avs.” As you can see, the playoffs are different for everyone, but with emotions high and the intensity building with every sweep and triple overtime, there’s no doubt that every hockey fan will be right there along the way.

So what can you expect from other DU students during this year’s quest for the cup? Well, lots of dining hall watching and homework in-between periods, that’s for sure. Some laughs, some tears. Probably a little friendly competition and definitely a lot of s**t talk. With the first round already over, (RIP Blues, Preds, Jets, Canucks, Sens, Red Wings, Pens, and Isles), we’re getting more serious than ever. Our brackets are filled, our bets are made, and our bragging rights are on the line. Any predictions, Pios? 

My name is Ellie Fazzi and I'm a first year Media Studies major with a minor in Rhetoric and Professional Writing. My favorite things include writing, singing, and hockey...oh and I love food...so by default, I love the gym. xoxo