kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Opioids Are Wreaking Havoc in the United States

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

There is a national crisis in America surrounding opioid addiction. It has been a problem that is skyrocketing and is especially present in a cluster of states known as the Bible Belt. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have been 3 different faces to the Opioid epidemic happening since the 1990s. It started with overdoses of prescription opioids, which then turned into heroine overdoses in 2010, and finally with synthetic heroin in 2013. Hillbilly Elegy and Jesus’ Son are two prime examples of books that look over these issues. They speak of the immense problem that opiates cause in communities and the death that they bring. Health Resources and Services Administration states that 116 people a day die from some form of opioid overdose.

Due to the quality of life and increased poverty in these areas, heroine and fentanyl usage has risen. While it does happen all around the country, it is mostly prevalent in the states where stores are going out of business and areas are becoming poorer. Some people, however, do get addicted to it.  As stated from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, it has transitioned from being connected with urban life, to suburban and rural areas now. The usage is concentrated in the age ranges of 18-25, but once people become addicted to their usage continues onward until they go to rehab, get clean, or overdose.

This is really an issue that needs to be addressed, because not only is it causing a rise in death tolls, but those who are relatives of many addicted will lose their family member to the drug. When someone is addicted to drugs, they may steal money or items from their family, lie to them, and become a completely different person from who they were. It becomes difficult to want anything but the drug. This is why Health Resources and Services Administration says that treatment centers and rehabilitation centers are critical for helping better the epidemic that has now taken hold.

A huge step forward is that many states and businesses are looking into philanthropic work, trying to aid with recovery housing, recovery centers, rehabilitation centers, and family reunification programs for those who need help and have suffered from opioid addiction. Something that will help with the overdose issues in Denver, Colorado would include possible 2019 bills that will help make it easier to establish a place for safe use of drugs. While I don’t condone drug usage, and I know many wouldn’t either, helping those that are using drugs to ensure that they don’t overdose is a vital step. This will allow for safe, clean needles to be given, dosages to be monitored, and help to be given if needed. A setting like this would give people addicted access to doctors and more traditional methods of help if needed. Bills and philanthropic work like this will hopefully pave the way for a better future for those addicted to opioids and allow them access to help so they can get clean.

Hello! My name is Bree, and I absolutely love any form of internal expression through art; whether it's writing, music, or art pieces. I am a huge science nerd, I love to read and have a collection of over 200 books. Makeup is another of my favorite things, along with music of any kind. I am so excited to be a part of this club and embrace the strength of women and writing. I am getting a BS in Biology (Pre-Med) and a BSBA in Marketing, as well as a double minor in music and chemistry. I would like to gain a new meaning of feminism and strength in my identity as a woman from this club, and learn to write better.