This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Our skin is something that we only have one of, and as we age, it ages with us. While this may seem dumb or like a really common statement, I realized this when I was in high school and wanted my skin to continually look supple and young far beyond when it should. To do this, I looked further into solutions and found that keeping up a skincare routine can help. Six years later, I have perfected my skincare routine so that my skin feels nice, soft, and supple while remaining (mostly) acne free.

This is a routine that works for me and may not work for others depending on the oil production, bacteria, and other aspects of your individual skin. I have dry skin that is acne prone, which can be a pain to deal with. If that is your skin type and you are looking for a skincare routine or even for some good acne care products, I hope this helps.

As soon as I wake up in the morning, I grab the morning portion of my skincare routine products. This includes Indie Lee Rosehip Cleanser, TONYMOLY Black Tea London Classic Serum, Alba Botanica Hawaiian Oil Free Moisturizer, and Alba Botanica Hawaiian Eye Gel. In skincare, I feel that you should have facial products that help with your face and your eyes, because your eyes do not have ducts that produce oils. This means that your eyes need extra care.

I begin by cleansing my face with the Indie Lee cleanser and pat my face dry. This cleans off all the gross build up from nighttime, not to mention any leftover acne products leftover from the night before. Then, I take a dime-sized amount of the Alba Botanica moisturizer on each one of my middle fingers and lightly spread the moisturizer around my face. After giving that a minute to soak in, I place a dime-sized amount on one middle finger, disperse it between my two middle fingers, and again, lightly spread this around my face. Finally, I use one pump of the eye gel on my ring finger, because it is the gentlest finger, and spread it on one eye. I repeat this for the other eye, and then let my face take a minute to dry.

Throughout the day, especially living in Colorado during the winter, my face tends to dry out. To combat this loss of moisture, my go-to product is Pixi by Petra Hydrating Milky Mist. It’s easy for me to use and carry around with me in my backpack. I apply a few spritz of this product to my face and let it soak in. My face immediately feels more moisturized.

At the end of the day, I always feel wrecked from classes, work, club meetings, or whatever else is in between. When it’s time for bed, I want products that will help my face feel fresh while fighting the acne that I tend to get from all the sugar and stress that college brings. If I’m wearing makeup, I use Kirkland Signature Daily Cleansing Towelettes to clean it all off. They’re cheap (6 packages for $15.99) and really effective at removing makeup. Two of the packages are travel-sized as well, so it’s great for going out or for travelling.

Following up, I wash my face with Alba Botanica Acnedote Deep Pore Wash. This has been my go-to face wash since I started getting acne at the age of 11. I have used many different cleansers, high end and low end, but none will ever compare to this one. It works well, cleans out my pores, and leaves my face feeling fresh. Afterward, I use a towel to pat my face dry, take a small cotton pad, and pour a good amount of Pixi by Petra Retinol Tonic. I rub this all over my face to even out pH and keep my face from drying out. After, I apply a dollop of Clean & Clear Persa Gel to my middle finger and rub it all over my entire face, allowing it to soak in for a few minutes.

The final product in my skin care routine is Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. This stuff is straight magic, and I’m not the only one who thinks so. This product has been RAVED about, because small dots of this on blemishes will generally clear them up overnight. To use this product, I take a cotton swab and lightly dip it into the pink material on the bottom. I then dot the product on any blemishes on my face. This will clear up any small-moderate blemishes I have overnight, and any larger ones in a couple of days. 

Following this routine most the time, because we all have those lazy days, allows me to have moisturized and clear skin. I am in love with the products, and always feel good about using them on my skin, because most, if not all, are formulated without harmful substances. I hope this has helped people with dry skin, acne prone skin, or combination.

Hello! My name is Bree, and I absolutely love any form of internal expression through art; whether it's writing, music, or art pieces. I am a huge science nerd, I love to read and have a collection of over 200 books. Makeup is another of my favorite things, along with music of any kind. I am so excited to be a part of this club and embrace the strength of women and writing. I am getting a BS in Biology (Pre-Med) and a BSBA in Marketing, as well as a double minor in music and chemistry. I would like to gain a new meaning of feminism and strength in my identity as a woman from this club, and learn to write better.