My Home Since Birth: 7 Fun Facts About Aurora, CO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

I have lived in Colorado since I was born, majority of which has been in lovely Aurora, CO. Here are some fun facts about this amazing Colorado city.

Aurora, CO is the 3rd largest city in Colorado (and the most diverse). 

Aurora has over 350,000 residents who come from a lot of different backgrounds. In 2010, Aurora was named the first large “majority-minority” city in Colorado – this means that the majority of people in the city identified as something other than White.

Don’t underestimate when it’ll stop snowing… 

This is probably more of a Colorado fact than an Aurora one. The latest recorded snowfall in Aurora was June 1st. Crazy, right?

The top two employers in Aurora are Buckley Air Force Base and Anschutz Medical Campus.

Those giant golf ball-looking structures in Aurora actually have a purpose.

If you go to Aurora, you’re bound to notice the giant “golf balls.” As a kid, we always predicted what they actually were used for. They’re actually part of Buckley Air Force Base, and their purpose is to protect the antennas used to detect missiles in the sky.

Missy Franklin went to a high school in Aurora!

This four-time Olympic medalist graduated from Regis Jesuit High School in Aurora, CO.

The largest catfish ever caught in Colorado was from the Aurora Reservoir. 

This massive creature weighed over 35 pounds!

Aurora is one of the forefronts of the huge brewing scene in Colorado.

Dry Dock Brewing Company, located in Aurora, won a gold medal at the World Beer Cup in 2010.

As you can see, there are some pretty cool things that have happened in Aurora, CO.

Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.