Mercury in Retrograde

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

So, unless you’ve somehow escaped the buzz around campus, you will have heard about Mercury, closest planet to the sun, and it’s newfound position in “retrograde”. When I first heard this tidbit I was sure it had something to do with out solar system collapsing. This doom-and-gloom perspective was no doubt down to my back to back environmental-degredation-the-world-is-ending courses on Tuesadys and Thursdays, but then again I decided to check it out just to be sure. 

Mercury being in retrograde means that between April 9th and May 3rd the planet is apparently moving backwards, in the opposite direction of Earth. It isn’t really, but because it slows down enough when comparing it to Earth’s orbit, it appears to be traveling backwards. This will happen three or four times per year, so it’s not necessarily the be-all-end-all of our Earthly day-to-day lives. And despite the crazy upheaval on social media, telling us that everything is gonna be royally fudged up, you will be okay. However, if and when something goes terribly wrong, you will have something to blame! 

Here’s what you need to look out for in these coming weeks. In astrology, communication, travel and technology are all areas traditionally ruled by Mercruy. So, if you find that you keep playing phone tag with your boss, you’re constantly stuck in traffic at 11 in the morning, or your phone decided to keep shutting down Snapchat like it’s its job (this is actually kinda frustrating), Mercury might be in retrograde. 

Apparently, Mercruy is also in charge of contracts- social, financial, or other varities- so if you’re in the process of signing off, make sure to check it twice! (Santa would approve) (What? it’s April- why are you bringing up Santa?) (I don’t know. Maybe because Mercury is in retrograde and everything’s wonky. LET ME BE!). 

If you cannot shake that cold, you feel like nobody gets you, it’s hard to hit the gym as often as you’d like (or should), or you just feel like you need to recharge, Mercury might be in retrograde. Like for instance, I probably have Strep Throat after what- being a hermit inside doing my homework and not going out contracting virusus from people? Pffft. 

Also- if you’re feeling stressed, unusually unmotivated, and generally like you cannot get a grip on your obligations/life/relationships/exceptation/classes etc.,  you can easily chalk it up to the confusing and all-powerful forces of the Universe. This might just be the reminder you needed to take a breath, re-evaluate your situation, remember what you’re thankful for, and remember you cannot control everything. 

After all, aren’t we all thankful this isn’t happening during finals!? Yeah, me too. Oh what’s that you say? You say, Saturn in in retrograde then? 

(Inhale, exhale.) xoxoxo

P.S If you’re looking for a more scientific explanation of the phenomenon, check out Vox’s video here

Elle Wagner is a sophmore this year at the Univesity of Denver and is a double major in International Relations and Communication Studies with a minor in French. She works as a model for Wilhelmina International and enjoys to travel, eat lots of cheesecake and spend time with her Dutch Family in Den Haag, Holland. She is super thrilled to be a writer for Her Campus and is always looking forward to the next piece she gets to write! HCXO