Meet the New Royal Princess

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

It’s finally here, collegiettes! Earlier this morning, the name of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s newborn princess was released. “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are delighted to announce that they have named their daughter Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.” Kensington Palace announced via Twitter. The baby girl was born on Saturday, May 2 at 8:34 a.m. London time in St. Mary’s hospital, weighing 8 pounds and 3 ounces.

The sweet girl’s name pays tribute both to William’s mother Princess Diana, as well as his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II (we knew Diana and Elizabeth had to be in there somewhere). Princess Charlotte is fourth in line for the throne – just after her brother, Prince George, and just before her uncle Prince Harry.

Since the new royal baby was brought into our world, she has been honored and celebrated all throughout England. On Saturday, the day of her birth, London trademarks including the London Eye and Tower Bridge lit up with gorgeous bright pink lights in support of Prince William and Kate Middleton, and the absolutely ad-royable princess Charlotte (is it too soon to start calling her Charlie?). England will continue to celebrate the birth of Charlotte Elizabeth Diana where today, 41 gunshots were fired in a gun salute in Hyde Park – a tradition for the birth of every prince or princess.

As the birthday celebrations continue in England and the rest of the world, don’t miss out on some of the sweetest moments from Princess Charlotte’s birthday, thanks to POPSUGAR. Happy birthday, sweet Charlotte!

Photos by: Getty / Ian Gavan

Lindsey Miller is a University of Denver sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in Professional Writing. She is the campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, which she co-founded in March 2015. Lindsey can see herself taking her career in many directions, but of course hopes she will be writing wherever and whatever that may be.