Culture > News

Mary Janes: The Women of Weed, A New Documentary About Women in the Cannabis Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Being students in Colorado, we all know how big the cannbis industry is and how much it is continuing to grow. However, what we tend to ignore is the conflict between legalization of cannabis here and the continuation of arrests in other areas. Furthermore, we tend to ignore those who are still incarcerated for cannabis charges in states where cannabis is legalized both medically and recreationally. Windy Borman decided to tackle these ignored topics in her new documentary “Mary Janes: The Women of Weed.” Throughout this documentary Borman “explores the movement to end marijuana prohibition, her own relationship to the plant, and the stereotypes surrounding it.” She interviews a wide range of women who are leading the cannabis industry. And, stated on the documentary’s website, Borman learns through the interviews that “this green revolution has big effects on environmental sustainability, ending the War on Drugs and the Prison-Industrial Complex, and the destructive domination of Big Pharma.” It’s more than just people wanting to get stoned. 

The Cast

This documentary features women in occupations such as CEOs, founders, doctors, bloggers, owners, product specialists, directors, council members, politicians, and even a chef. As stated before, there is a diverse range of occupations, race, and personal background found within the women interviewed for the documentary, giving it a more holistic persepective about women in the cannabis industry, and industry in general. They are described as being women (and possibly men) “working for gender parity, social justice and environmental sustainability in the cannabis industry.” Windy Borman has nicknamed these women as being Puffragettes, and this means they all “[embody] the values of gender parity, social justice and sustainability in cannabis” in some way, shape, or form. And, you can even nominate someone you know to be featured on their website and movement as a whole. 

The Team

To learn even more about the film from the producer’s perspective, check out this really cool Huffington post where journalist Amanda Duberman interviews Mindy Borman about the film and her coining the term Puffregette. It is super awesome to see women representation in the cannabis industry that is dominated by white men. Hopefully, a screening comes to us nearby soon! 

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.