This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Over the years, I have been lucky to repeatedly visit Arizona. Two of my closest family members live in two respective areas of Arizona––when I visit these two different areas, it’s as if I’m visiting two completely separate worlds. I have done some pretty amazing things during my visits; if you’re looking for a fun vacation, consider taking a trip to one of these wonderful places in Arizona.

Grand Canyon West

The Grand Canyon is a place everyone should visit at least once. However, there are a variety of different sides to the canyon; depending on which side you go to, you’ll encounter completely different experiences. At Grand Canyon West, you can walk on a glass walkway above the vast expanses of the canyon. Bring a jacket, though, because it gets chilly…and make sure you’re ready for a frightening, mind-blowing experience!

Sedona, Arizona

Sedona is by far my favorite part of AZ I’ve seen. It is a lovely little town with cute shops and the most gorgeous natural scenery. I have visited Sedona various times, and it never ceases to take my breath away. Chapel of the Holy Cross is a gorgeous church located at the top of a rock––the best views are offered from this vantage point. Most recently, my aunt and I stayed in an amazing little hotel with patios facing the beautiful rock formations. We also got hand carved votive candle holders that’ll hold a fond place in my home for the rest of my life. Sedona is a must visit.

Show Low, Arizona

My aunt and uncle own a house in Show Low, and it is a complete contrast to the hot, cactus-filled terrain that many people may think of when they picture Arizona. When you visit Show Low, you escape from the hundred-degree weather and are met with beautiful trees and lakes––a paradise all its own. One of my favorite things about Show Low is the fun wood-carved bears they make with chainsaws! I’ll never forget when I first visited, I entered a raffle and won the most gorgeous wooden carved bear. 

Any Mexican restaurant…

So, I know this isn’t a place, but if you take a trip to AZ, you’ll be met with the most amazing array of Mexican foods. The margaritas and tacos in Arizona are the best I’ve ever had. If you take a trip to Show Low, go get a drink and a bite to eat at Licano’s Mexican Food and Steakhouse. It’s to die for!

Grand Canyon South

Earlier, I mentioned the various sides of the Grand Canyon. My most recent trip to the Grand Canyon was to the south rim, which was an entirely different experience. While the West Rim has freer reign (which comes with the possibility to literally fall off the edge), the South Rim gives off the classic national park vibe with designated pathways and hiking trails, as well as a visitor center. Both sides are beautiful, but it felt like you could see more of the canyon from the South Rim. You can’t go wrong with either side, though!

Goodyear, Arizona

My aunt and uncle own another house in Goodyear, AZ, which is a lot closer to the city center of Phoenix. Visiting in, or around, Goodyear will give you more of a city experience, with shopping, movie theatres, stadiums, etc. You can never go wrong with a fun trip to the city (for those who like more of a fast-paced vibe)! Plus, if you want to escape the heat, take a dip in one of the many pools in the area (it’s so hot there that they’re completely heated by the sun!)

While this is only the brink of my travels around the beautiful state of Arizona, this list should give you a good idea of the variety of fun things you can experience. I hope someday, if you haven’t already, you can take a little getaway to one of my favorite places on Earth. You won’t regret it!

Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.