With Love, A Girl Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

If there’s one thing that’s been stressed to me countless times, it’s this:

“Life is all about who you surround yourself with.”

This phrase has echoed in my head for many years, through many situations and repeatedly. It is what I have been told over and over again, and I am always finding myself making sure I am living up to it.

I won’t disagree. I couldn’t tell you how many individuals have completely defined the person I am today (love you, Mom). I wouldn’t be myself without a significant number of some pretty special people in my life. Surrounding yourself with positive people will shine positivity throughout yourself. I believe that.

But what I’ve recently realized, and what I want you to realize, too, is that I put the value of that phrase ahead of something that means so much more. I recently started a journey that required being on my own more than I ever have had to before. I started to live on my own, travel on my own and make memories on my own. And those memories are some of the best I truly believe I’ll ever have.

This independent journey has revealed more of myself than any experience has before. I’ve realized the little things that make me happy – and boy do they make me happy. Waking up. Opening Spotify. Making tea. Reading my book. Writing in my journal. Reaching out to a friend I haven’t talked to in awhile and asking them how they are. They’re such little things, but these tiny things are what make me happy – what make me, me (ugh, outrageously cliché, I know).

But what I’ve learned is that, yes, all of this alone time was treacherously overwhelming going into this experience. But, it has forced me to get to know myself. Because I feel like all this time, I’ve put myself aside thinking I knew just who I was, and instead sought out for those people I’ve been told to surround myself with. What I’m saying is that it’s not always about who you surround yourself with. It’s about you. So yes, keep living your life with one eye open in search for these awesome people; but please don’t let that make you forget how much awesome-er you are. 

Lindsey Miller is a University of Denver sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in Professional Writing. She is the campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, which she co-founded in March 2015. Lindsey can see herself taking her career in many directions, but of course hopes she will be writing wherever and whatever that may be.