ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To the Left, To the Left: DU Democrats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Note: This profile is part of a political themed series and does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of Her Campus DU. 

DU College Democrats, more commonly known as DU Dems, is an organization aimed at starting coversation with those whose Twitter timelines are filled with retweeted AOC’s statements. Her Campus DU met with the president of DU Dems to find out more about the club as well as her own political activism. 

President Clare Link-Oberstar

Name: Clare Link-Oberstar

Majors: Stuido Art & Gender and Women’s Studies

Year in School: Sophomore

Role: President

What is DU Dems?

DU Dems is a left-leaning political organization whose goal is to promote open and respectful discussion on current political events and values important to the Democratic Party. We try to promote and provide opportunities for civic engagement to connect DU students to the greater Denver community. We also try to fill the gap by providing a safe and open space to discuss politics, specially geared toward people who lean left.

What does DU Dems do?

DU Dems provides a weekly space to discuss current events and stay up to date on politics. We like to invite guest speakers to inform our members and work toward electing democrats throughout the State of Colorado. DU Dems welcomes all students to engage in political discussion regardless of their political affiliation. We love to have productive discussions with people who differ in views, while also having a space to relate politically with other like-minded people on campus.

What events do you host?

We love hosting guest speakers, especially candidates, when there is a local or statewide election. We also have held election watch parties and take groups to protests like the Women’s March every January. We are also hosting a roundtable discussion event with the College Republicans this coming May to help promote productive discussion and try to decrease hostility between our political groups and other students on campus.

Visit from Colorado Attorney General Phil Wieser

Why did you join?

I joined DU Dems consistently during winter quarter of my Freshman year because I am a huge political junky. When I was at home growing up, I would watch political shows with my dad and discuss politics with my whole family. It helped me to stay up to date with political events in my busy schedule and gave me a place where I felt surrounded by people who thought like me. I rose to president this year because I am really passionate about the organization and I really believe in its mission. I knew it was really important for me and I wanted to make that space for others as well.  

Why is it important to have political organizations on campus?

I believe that having a political organization on campus is extremely important because 18-25 year olds make up a huge portion of the electorate. I think it is a great place for people to become educated and gives people a space to talk politically and share their opinions. People our age are just starting to vote and the people we put in office will be there and will make critical decisions that will continue to affect us as we become fully-fledged adults. The representatives we are electing now are super important–I think there are a lot of people our age who don’t recognize that. I also think there are a lot of people that are liberal who want a space to meet liberal people and make friends, which I think DU Dems can really provide for people like any other student organization can.

2018 Midterm Watch Party

What has been your favorite part?

My favorite part of DU Dems has been the community and the ability to talk to people who think like me and have differing thoughts on things that I would never have considered. I love staying up-to-date on current events and leading this club has really helped me to make that a priority. I care a lot about being active in politics and really want to make a change in the ways I can. I have developed relationships with people who think similarly to me and that has been really amazing.

How has being a part of this organization affected your collegiate experience?

I have really found a place where I can geek out about politics. I am such a geek every night; I fall asleep listening to political podcasts. This organization gave me a place I was excited to go each week and a place to share my passion for politics with people who understand how I feel and feel similarly.

How do you approach conversations with those along other party lines?

I approach them with the assumption that they have a valid point. I respect people with different opinions and I am open to hearing what they have to say. I believe that Democrats and Republicans, especially at the college level, have a lot of similar priorities and common ground with each other, but it’s extremely hard to get down to see those because of the deep polarization and lack of productive conversation.  

2019 Women’s March Trip

Are you looking forward to the 2020 election? Why or why not?

I would say I am looking forward to the 2020 election but I think it is very early to see a leading candidate on the Democratic side. There are a lot of people running and I think it will be a strong competition for the nomination. I hope to see a productive discussion on the issues and a candidate that has a good chance of beating Donald Trump in the 2020 election. I would also love to see a woman in the white house making history for the United States.

How can people get involved?

Come to our meetings on Wednesdays at 6pm in Sturm 379! Our first one will be 4/10. Also email us at ducollegedemocrats1@gmail.com to be added to our email list for meeting updates and weekly discussion topics.

Any additional information?

We will also be hosting a joint round table discussion event with the DU College Republicans on 5/1 at 6:30pm in AAC 340 (The Loft Classroom). We will be discussing Health Care, Feminism in Politics, and Polarization on Campus. Anyone is welcome!

Thanks for speaking with us! 

Facebook: DU College Democrats

Instagram: @dudemocrats

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.