It’s All About the Power Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

So you’ve gotten the interview, congrats! But before you go, you need to put your power pants on, also known as getting dressed. I know I stood in my closet and cried because I didn’t know what to wear to make a good impression. To help you avoid that, let me give you easy rules of thumb from both a Gen Xer AND a millennial. After all, the Gen X’er is most likely the one hiring us, so meeting their expectations is important, but we also want to embrace our generation and stay true to ourselves, so finding a perfect balance is key.

So what do we do with this info? We go with our personality- I wore black pants, a white blouse, and a black blazer. I had black oxford flats, a small diamond necklace and pearl earrings. I didn’t wear perfume, but I had scented lotion on so basically the same thing. I wore nude makeup and clear Chap Stick with my hair in a nice low bun but NOT a messy bun.  But any combo of the above is ideal for an interview wardrobe! Keep in mind what you’re interviewing for, learn about the company you are interviewing at, and choose your level of formality wisely! 

The most important thing is that you feel confident in whatever you choose. If you have to worry about a neckline slipping open, or an itch from a tag, you’re not going to be able to focus and be confident about other things! Confidence is key. You’ll have a chance to show your personality through your style later once you land the job! 

Molly is from Salina, Kansas and is a second year at the University of Denver. She is currently an International Studies and French major. When Molly isn't writing for HC, she is working as a swim instructor for a private company teaching little kiddos! If she's not working she loves hanging out at Kaladi Brothers Coffee, or thrifting at local thrift shops. Molly is involved in humanitarian organizations and the french club on campus! Molly's motto is, "Follow your arrow no matter where it points".