Inside the Multicultural Greek Council by Andrea Macias

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Take a look into Greek life you didn’t know existed! Find out what it’s like to be a part of the Multicultural Greek Council! 

Name: Itchel Cardenas

Major: International Business, Spanish, and Mandarin

Year in School: Third Year

Position: Multicultural Greek Council President

Itchel Cardenas, MGC President

What is the DU Multicultural Greek Council?

MGC oversees the six organiza​tions (two fraternities and four sororities) that are multicultural based.

What chapters are a part of it?

• Elite Epsilon Chapter of Pi Lambda Chi Latina Sorority Inc.
  • Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc.
  • Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority Inc.
  •  Kappa Phi Lambda Sorority Inc. (colony)
  • Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority Inc.
  • Beta Gamma Nu Fraternity Inc.

What does it mean to be a member of the Multicultural Greek Council?

Something we value is being a support system. A lot of members are either first generation or from a diverse background and did not resonate with regular Greek life. We learn how to be leaders and there is a huge platform to get involved with other groups (DU Service and Change, Eli, ESTEM, for instance). This allows people to step out of their comfort zone. We take a lot of what we do from NPHC, which is what we call Divine Nine; this includes hand signs, strolling, chants, and calls. These do not get replicated out of respect for each other’s organizations.

What function does MGC serve to the DU sorority community?

It serves as another option for people on campus. The word Multicultural is a huge part of it. This allows us to educate our campus within cross collaboration and be able to get involved within groups you normally do not see on campus. Friendship is a huge part of being a part of MGC. You learn not only the professional side but also have a community that is another option to girls who do not feel connected to Panhellenic.

How do people on the Multicultural Greek Council put aside their individual chapter affiliations and work towards a just Greek community?

Learning how to care for others that are not just your sisters and brothers. Really stepping into their shoes and learn about them. Knowing them as an individual and not just by their organization. We are all a part of the same community, and you find a common goal, like awareness, academics, and community service. Be involved in social justice, and be involved in more than just MGC and work together within those programs (1GenU, Summerlink, VIP, Eli, ESTEM). Acknowledge where we are at this university, as first generation students, students of color, and finding that connection. A lot of us take classes together, so just knowing each other. MGC is just one part of you, not all of who you are.

What are some common misconceptions about MGC?

A lot of people think there is a ton of hazing and things to go through. A lot assume that we do not do much, when they hear, “Oh $60 dues, what do you do with us?” Just remembering we are smaller scale, and we do not have huge events or houses. A lot of the work is fundraising. Thousands of dollars is just not feasible. People think the MGC community is here because we either have a full ride or want to be IFC and PHA, but we are just a different council. A lot of people think we are mean, because you cannot do our signs, have our letters, step, or touch our letters. But we just let people know that it is a respect thing. Some people think we are weird with our chants, which is fine. You would have to join the organization to know the true meaning behind them.

What has been your favorite part about being on the Multicultural Greek Council?

The networking I have done and being able to bring back all I have learned to my community and chapter. Teaching how to genuinely recruit. Helping find people their home. When I meet with IFC and PHA, I love to tell them about who we are and what we are about. I also get to experience a new relationship with IFC and PHA and now I can go to class and see IFC and PHA people and recognize them as classmates and am able to be involved within that community. I get to be a leader and an advocate for my community. I know the support does not end at my organization, it goes beyond that.

Why would you encourage women to join the MGC community?

There is no better support system. I don’t want to push people to be where they don’t want to be. Our community is full of leaders, and they will always have either an older sister or alumni to reach out to. You really grow, it’s crazy. You really get to see your true potential, running committees, being on the council, putting on events. There is no better place to learn about different cultures, places, personalities, and being able to work with all of that. And there is always something to do, these friendships last a lifetime.

Any advice for those interested in becoming new members?

Do your research and ask the right people; there is a council for a reason. I also am the recruitment chair so reach out to me with questions and uncertainties. Google the organizations and see what each one stands for. Meet the people involved in these organizations and go to their events and meetings, see where it feels like home. And join when you’re ready, whether it’s two years, one year, or the first quarter here. If you are joining one and don’t feel at home, do not be afraid to leave. Do what will make you happy.

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.