This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Halloween is a fun holiday filled with costumes and candy, and in college primarily parties. I’m 18, a freshman in college, I’m supposed to like parties, especially Halloween parties, but I don’t. Don’t get me wrong, I love Halloween! I love making spooky treats and handing out candy to trick-or-treaters. I love creating my own costumes and putting hours of hard work into my creative masterpiece, but it drives me crazy when girls show up to parties in a short skirt, tank top, and a pair of ears and are like “I’m a mouse, duh”.

Mean Girls

I have always put a lot of had work into my costumes, like the year I dressed up as a peace sign… I know. I was a weird child, but I enjoyed making my costumes. Now, I find it difficult to put together a fun and creative costume while still fitting into the female social norm of tight tops and short skirts. 

In high school I was never super social and I rarely, if ever, went to parties. When I got to college I decided to change that, but I quickly realized I just don’t like parties. It has nothing to do with not being social, I just don’t like the loud music and I hate the taste of beer. It is expected that people will be drinking at parties and on Halloween this expectation is elevated. Drinks are poured in all types of unsettling colors that should never be ingested and somehow it is impossible to find a bottle of water. 

Trying to walk through a crowd is nearly impossible. I feel as if I’m being sifted through cliques of girls dressed as bunnies and black cats and being pushed between mobs of frat boys who just put on a hat and call it a costume, when I’m really just trying to get to the restroom. And why can I NEVER seem to find the gosh darn restroom.

That being said, Halloween is a fun and spirited holiday that we should all have the chance to enjoy so if that means dressing up and going to a party, go ahead. If you are like me and would rather watch re-runs of the Twilight Zone and eat some candy, that is totally fine too. It doesn’t mater how you decide to celebrate the holiday as long as you are having fun and staying safe.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Julia is currently a freshman at University of Denver double majoring psychology and theatre. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found at dance team practice, singing, watching Jane the Virgin, or eating popcorn. You can keep up with her on Instagram @JuliaCWolfe.