How Shaving My Head Made Me Feel Feminine Again

I’ve had long hair the majority of my life. Until I was ten years old, I had never gotten a haircut beyond cleaning up split ends. In elementary school, I was known for the kid with the ridiculously long hair, running around on the playground with long, thick braids because if it wasn’t woven back it would tangle like you wouldn’t believe. Then, in the 5th grade, I chopped it off to shoulder length, and everyone in my class went bananas.

A very old picture of me, circa 4th grade

Since then, I’ve mostly kept it shoulder length or longer. I had a pixie cut at one point in middle school, but the silhouette didn’t quite work for my face and I was unhappy with it because the truth was, I didn’t want a pixie cut. I wanted to shave my head.

Since I was maybe eleven or twelve years old, I’ve wanted a buzzcut. Not completely bald, but incredibly short. The problem was, I was afraid. What would people think? What if my head was a weird shape? Would people think I looked like a boy? Would people make fun of me?

Me, two weeks ago, right before cutting my hair

So I kept my hair long until Monday, February 18th, 2019. I’m 21 years old. I’ve wanted this for a decade. I took the plunge and shaved my hair down to about a half-inch length.

Me, now

The response I’ve gotten from this has been overwhelmingly positive. My parents, friends, and coworkers have been so supportive.

All my fears I’ve had over the last ten years have disappeared quickly. While I liked my hair, I don’t really miss it. There are moments when I forget that I had long hair, and I only got it cut a week and a half ago. I feel much more like myself.

My HCDU sisters reacting to my hair. I love y'all <3

It’s been exciting playing with different wardrobe and makeup styles. My new look has inspired me to really look at my closet. I used to dread picking out outfits everyday, because clothes just felt like part of a drab routine. Now, I feel like I’m looking at everything in a new lens. Soon, I’ll be going through my clothes and getting rid of some, Marie Kondo style.

My shower time has gone down from 10 to 15 minutes to less than five, and taking care of my hair has never been easier. It no longer tangles, or gets staticky, or frizzes. I’ve always had flyaways that would make it look like I hadn’t slept in days. I mean, it’s true, but I don’t wanna look that way!

I feel much more confident when I look in the mirror. Everyone has been telling me things like I’m brave. The encouragement has been incredible. If there’s a change you’ve been wanting to make to your look, go for it. Be brave enough to be yourself.