How To Make the Most of Your Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

After every school break, I come back thinking “What the heck did I even do over break?” Well, if you are like me, this feeling is kind of disappointing and leaves you wishing to do better next time. So, relax and take your time to plan your break, including that relaxation time. Here are a few suggestions about things to schedule into your spring break to make it more fulfilling. 

Spend time with friends. 

Even if you will be far away from your gal pals, be sure to include times to chat with them, whether it is meeting up for lunch regularly or having a few night time Skype sessions. Socializing with those closest to us can do wonders for your mental health. 

Spend time with family.

Family time is important. We are social creatures; so, we need social connection and human bonding. Even if your family isn’t blood related, they are still family, and you should dedicate some time to them. 

Finish a book. 

During the school year, I never seem to find time for my personal readings… so read that book! And if you don’t like reading, watch a new movie. If you need some inspiration, here’s a reading list by Kendyl. 

Sleep however much you want. 

Although you cannot make up for all those hours you stayed up cramming for that final or pulling an all-nighter to write that essay, you can try to reset your sleep schedule to get the right amount of sleep. Here are some tips about how to sleep better and start regulating your sleep schedule– 6 Sleep Myths. And if you’re not up for regulation, at least sleep however much you want. 

Create a new Spotify playlist.

Since it’s spring time, you might as well create a new playlist to symbolize the transition into the sunnier time of year that represents growth and new beginnings. So, mark your new beginning with a new Spotify playlist! Check out Marisa’s playlist “Moon Spring” for some inspiration. 

Take pictures in the sunlight. 

I’m a sucker for taking photos in beautiful, sunny weather. The lighting is always nice, and it seems easier to have a genuine smile. Be vain. Love yourself. See your beauty and take those pictures!

Be mindful of what you’re doing. 

Whether you’re on a staycation or you’re going on a road trip or you are traveling abroad, or whatever it is you’re doing, remember to really experience and take in what is happening. Live in the moment this break. No rushing to finish assignments and make meetings (unless those are your plans), just live in the moment.

Have a wonderful break, and make it worthwhile!
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.