Her Story: What You Need to Know About my Eating Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Eating disorders are something that do not get talked about as much as they should. National Eating Disorder Awareness Week is absolutely incredible – it gives those of us who have struggled with eating disorders a way to stand up and say, “this is real, this is happening.” Eating disorders are more serious than most people know, having the highest mortality rate of any mental illness and only as few as 1/3 of sufferers make a full recovery. Often when you hear somebody talk about eating disorders, it’s to make fun of somebody else: “You didn’t eat lunch, what are you, anorexic?” or “You might as well eat it, you can always throw up afterwards” are two popular sayings. This way of thinking is harmful to the person saying it, the people hearing it, and to the people who truly struggle with an eating disorder because they will be less likely to reach out and seek help if they believe they won’t be taken seriously. Something else that society says is that eating disorders are a “woman’s issue”, which can’t be further from the truth. Men and women can both struggle from body issues and eating disorders, and eating disorders in men can be just as deadly as those in women. Because of misconceptions, men are also much less likely to seek help in fear that society will see them as less masculine for struggling this way.

As somebody who struggled for a long time with an eating disorder and is now solid in recovery, I’ve learned that there are a lot of people out there who are dangerously misinformed about eating disorders. Whether you know it or not, everybody knows somebody who struggles with an eating disorder, which is why it’s crucial that people take the time to educate themselves and others. If I had people around me who were more supportive and could see the warning signs when I first developed my eating disorder, I could have gotten help much sooner than I did. NEDA Week is great, but we cannot and should not let the conversation end this week. Continue to share articles, information, and statistics. Use positive language when talking about your own body as well as other people’s bodies. Ask a friend if they’re okay if you see warning signs. Don’t be afraid to reach out if you are struggling. Taking any one of these actions could be life-changing.

Lindsey Miller is a University of Denver sophomore majoring in Strategic Communications and minoring in Professional Writing. She is the campus correspondent of Her Campus DU, which she co-founded in March 2015. Lindsey can see herself taking her career in many directions, but of course hopes she will be writing wherever and whatever that may be.