This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Let me be clear. This article does not contain the key to finding, falling, and feeling love. As much as I wish that was my area of expertise, it is simply not the truth. Instead of spending your time filled with envy during this cuffing season, spend your time falling in love with fall. For those of you that are out of state, this may be your first Colorado fall, so I’ll let you in on some insider scoop. 

The first thing you should know is that the changing of the leaves is a big deal here; it is a perfect time to get out of your dorm for a little and head up for some fresh mountain air. Early October is the perfect time to go, so pack your bags, hop on I-70W and make your way to Guanella Pass. At only one hour away from Denver one will find 11,670 feet of a perfect view of aspen groves. This is the perfect time of year to understand why the mountain natives are so homesick especially during October. Remember, if you can’t make it out in these next few weeks, the lower the altitude, the slower the leaves change.  

Just in case leaves aren’t your thing or maybe you’re looking to start Scaretober a little early, The Stanley Hotel is a perfect place to start. As one of Colorado’s claim to fame, we are the set for Stanley Kubrick’s, The Shining. If you haven’t seen this movie, maybe that should be first on your list. Accompanied by some of Colorado’s finest views, Estes Park will for sure become one of your favorite get away hotspots. Surrounded by eight acres of pure horror, you’ll be sure to get a little spooked on the long winding road up to the haunted doors. As if the hotel wasn’t scary enough, they offer ghost tours with spooky stories to get your heart really racing. I should warn you, if you’re actually a horror fiend, maybe opt for the 13th Floor or Asylum haunted house. Both of these hot spots host themed events all through the month of October and even into November for those of you bogged down with midterm stress.

Now, enough with the scary. If you want to see some true Colorado culture, head towards Larimer Square for Oktoberfest. Since 1969, it has been one of the most culturally rich events. Stemming from German roots, Oktoberfest is a night filled with ballads, bratwurst, and beer (if you’re 21). It is a great spot to go watch or participate in some of the quirkiest events Denver has to offer. From Keg Bowling Championships to the Long Dog Derby, there is something that everyone will love. 

So here’s to layers, leaves, and love.    

Hiya i am a first year here at DU studying Anthropology and International studies with a Spanish and Leadership minor! I am super stoked to be a part of HerCampus!