This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Jean Jackets

Jean jackets, especially oversized ones, are great for layering in fall. With oversized jean jackets, you can wear flannels (another essential) or even sweaters and sweatshirts underneath, and with a t-shirt or long sleeve, you can really layer up for one of those really cold days. Denim jackets go with everything, all colors, and even other denim. Denim on denim is really in and very 90’s. Also, nowadays, jean jackets are coming in all different colors. I personally love to put fleece lining and pins on some of them to customize them and make them unique.

Sweater dresses

Still want to show off your summer legs during the cooler weather? Or a not so fancy, but not so casual occasion? Sweater dresses are perfect for that. You can wear them with tights, thigh socks, and the cutest fall boots. They are the best way to dress up a little and still stay warm and cozy in a sweater dress that’s just like being wrapped up in a warm blanket.

Flannels

Flannels are another amazing way to layer with sweaters, long sleeves, vests, short sleeves, and even tank tops to help you get a little warmer. Another great thing about flannels is that when you do get too hot, you do not even have to wear it. You can just take it off and tie it around your waist to cool off and for a spunky new look. Flannels are great because they come in all different colors and designs, and they can come in all different levels of heat. Some are paper thin and purely for fashion, while others can be fleece-lined and super warm. You can even just add a flannel to a really plain outfit like leggings or jeans and a t shirt and make it a whole new outfit.

Boots

Autumn is the season for cute boots! Not like ugly, chunky, winter boots, but cute, stylish, leather boots. The best thing about boots is that you have such a huge variety to choose from. Thigh highs, booties, combat boots, riding boots, ones with heels. The possibilities are endless. And you may be thinking, “boots are shoes, they are essential,” and yes, they are, but you can use them to accessorize, or even accessorize them themselves with socks. Socks are one of my favorite accessories for any season, but with boots they are so essential. You can have them peeking out the top of any height of boot to add a little something something, and a little extra warmth as well

Chunky Sweaters

The most essential essential for fall: chunky sweaters! Big, comfy, soft, chunky sweaters keep you warm like no other. You can get them in every color and pattern imaginable. You can wear them with absolutely anything. Wear them with flannels or button downs under them, with leggings, jeans, or even with skirts or over dresses to dress them up a little, and any way is super adorable. Chunky sweaters are an easy way to transition your summer outfits like shorts, skirts, and dresses into cute and cozy fall outfits.

Hi I'm Cami Chaikin. I am an undergrad theatre major at the University of Denver. I love fashion, animals, being outside, and theatre.