DU Connections in Business and Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Do you ever feel stuck or confused about what you want to actually do in life? What career do you really want? What internships to earn credit from? Well, here at DU, there are many resources throughout campus to guide you towards the path that is truly yours! You could even become as happy as the infamous, and beautiful, Benita Abraham. 

So, what does DU really have to offer in guidance to our next steps in life?

A. There is a whole department dedicated to getting you prepped for the real world– DU Career Services – https://www.du.edu/career/

This department provides assistance in preparing for interviews as well as reviewing resumes with students. They also offer career planning including graduate school, financing your education further, and almost any concern you may have with finding the right career for yourself. Not only do they aid in the search, but DU Career Services hosts many evens around campus where a variety of employers and students can mingle and create connections. In fact, this Tuesday, January 30th, there will be an Internshipalooza from 12:00 – 4:00 pm in special events room #290 in the AAC. And, this Wednesday, January 31st, there will be a Professional Attire fair from 1:00 – 4:00 pm in Driscoll Ballroom– there will be free haircuts and professional attire for any student to claim. 

Also, if you are participating in an unpaid internship during the summer, they may award you one of eight DU Career Services Unpaid Internship Grant  for $2,500 to aid in affording to continue your academic goals despite financial strains. The online application is here and is opened until May 2nd, 2018 (ignore that the website still says 2017, I checked!). 

B. Through PioneerCareers, students can connect easily with the DU Career Services department

This online platform is designed to make scheduling appointments, searching for job opportunities, accessing Career Services additional resources, and finding DU Career Services events faster and easier! Just create an account and browse through the tabs to see exactly the plethora of resources you can use to determine your future career. 

C. DU’s professor to student ratio is 11:1

Use this ratio to your advantage! Talk to professors that work on research in subject areas or ideas you’re also passionate about. Listen to their professional history and if you’d like to receive some advice from them over coffee. See who you’d feel comfortable asking for recommendations and reviewing your resumes. They were all once students like you, and some are continuously learning and applying for new jobs, as well. The professors are also here to connection to you the professional world. 

DU is known for a vast majority of students obtaining jobs before they finished their undergrad, and many students also participate in the “4 + 1” master’s program with DU’s graduate schools. Take advantage of the university and what it has to offer, you just might find your dream job! :)

Benita Abraham

Thumbnail source

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.