sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Colorado’s Coolest Locations

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Are you staying here in Colorado this Spring Break? Well, if you are, you should really be excited, because Colorado has some beautiful places to visit that are definitely worth your time! This state may be cold and snowy this Spring, but it can also be sunny and is full of wonderful places to check out. This is for sure not all the cool places in Colorado, yet still a great place to start your springtime adventures! 

An Afternoon in Union Station

Start off with a Denver classic – visiting the Union Station and not taking the train anywhere. Union Station is super busy, yet still gets great reviews about being a cozy place to go, sit, and relax. It’s similar to your usual coffee shop, but probably has better ice cream.

Bishop’s Castle

A lesser known beauty of Colorado is Bishop’s Castle, located in Rye, Colorado, this castle is hand built by construction worker Jim Bishop all by himself. The best part – this visit is absolutely free! Bishop only asks for donations among his signs of libertarian propaganda, not too different from our favorite Ron Swanson. It does get super chilly at its altitude, so bundle up and go on an adventure! 

Nederland, CO

This quiet town is a perfect place to get some beautiful, sunny shots of yourself for Instagram while also being beat up by the wind. However, those shots are worth it. There are mountains and a gorgeous blue lake. Besides the beautiful drive to get there, you’ll also enjoy the local food, which is pretty delicious. 

The Ice Castles 

Open every day, except Tuesdays and Wednesdays, the ice castles in Dillon, Colorado give you the opportunity to become Elsa (admit it, for the Insta). Sadly, this beauty does cost money, but is worth every second. According to their website, weekday general admission is $15.95 and for weekends, $18.95.

Mesa Verde National Park

Actually, one of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, this national park is the host of much history with 5,000+ archeological sites to explore. These sites are great preservations of the Ancestral Pueblo not far from Durango. To learn more about history while enjoying a view, check out this park. 

Royal Gorge

The Royal Gorge is a huge tourist attraction, but many locals haven’t visited this place yet. This gorge is the largest suspension bridge and zip line in the U.S. With tickets being $27 for adults and $22 for children, you can have an adventure on the Bridge, on the Gondola, in the Theater, and in the Playland area. Check out their website for more! 

*p.s. there is also a Royal Gorge Route Railroad to cruise along the river in the gorge while enjoying food and beverages. 

Bridal Veil Falls

This gorgeous waterfall reaches 365 feet above the canyon, but you do have to hike in order to reach this spot. However, the hike is not too hard and definitely worthwhile. Located near Telluride, Colorado, Bridal Veil Falls is a great proposal location, nice shots for Insta (again), or even a neat place to picnic. With the weather warming up, this place should be in your considerations. 

Evergreen Lake

Although it is warming up, skating season is still upon us and lakes will continue to be frozen for awhile. This means you may still have time to visit Evergreen Lake and take your shot at ice skating. Definitely a switch up from DU’s ice rinks, Evergreen Park & Recreation District offers “the world’s largest Zamboni-groomed outdoor ice rink, a stunning 8.5 acre stretch of ice with 10+ pond hockey rinks and a huge public skating rink, just a half hour from downtown Denver.”

Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.