Colorado Wildfire Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Now that spring has sprung here in Colorado, we are entering fire season. With the nice weather, many of us are going to be heading outside a lot more now, but we need to do our part to keep Colorado safe from wildfires. The low amounts of snowfall this winter can easily make this upcoming fire season even worse than usual.

Know the Fire Danger Rating

Fire danger ratings range from low to extreme. Pay attention to signs such as these:

Any time you do something that could potentially start a fire be careful, but especially if the fire danger rating is High, Very High, or Extreme. Once the danger hits the High level, fires are easily started and can spread quickly.

Know the Fire Bans and Restrictions

When conditions are too dry and the fire danger is high, counties throughout Colorado may enact fire bans and restrictions. Links to each county’s information and a state-wide map can be found on the Colorado Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management’s website. It is important to know and understand these fire bans and restrictions for any county you live in or plan on going to, especially if you’re going camping or you smoke.

Know the Current Fire Situation

Knowing the current fire situation is important for your health and awareness. It is easier to be prepared for something if you know what is going on. In 2012, the Waldo Canyon Fire spread far enough north that my neighborhood in Larkspur was put on pre-evacuation notice. We had to be ready to leave at a moment’s notice if necessary. The following year, the Black Forest Fire was the most destructive fire in Colorado history. I remember going to babysit one afternoon that summer and ash falling from the red-orange sky in Castle Rock. I have asthma and bad allergies, and I could barely go outside that summer.

Currently there are six fires burning in Colorado. There is the 11 acre Indian Creek Fire near Sedalia; the 40,892 acre 117 Fire south of Colorado Springs; the 380 acre South River Road Fire in Alamosa; the Broken Ranch Fire near Trinidad; the 2000 acre Trinchera Ranch Fire just east of Trinidad; and the 48,455 acre (33,384 in CO and 15,026 in KS) Badger Hole Fire in the Southeast corner of the state.

To check the current fires, go to the Colorado Department of Fire Prevention and Control website.

Please be mindful of how you put out cigarettes, bunts, campfires, fireworks, etc.

Wildfire Facts and FAQs

I am a senior at the University of Denver double majoring in International Studies and History. I love to read, write, and knit. Being a part of HerCampus is great because I get to write about important and fun topics that have absolutely nothing to do with my coursework.