matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Climate Activist You Should’ve Known About Before Greta: Isra Hirsi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

When you think of young activists, you probably think of someone like Greta Thunberg because of her prominent protests against climate change. But she’s not the only politically active young person working towards making a change in the world. Meet Isra Hirsi.

Who is she?

Isra Hirsi is a black Muslim woman and a 16-year-old youth activist. She is the co-founder and partnerships director of the US Youth Climate Strike. She believes in fighting climate change and racial justice together and realizing how the consequences of global warming are worse for nonwhite groups. Isra is from Minneapolis, Minnesota but now lives in Washington D.C.

What led her to climate change activism?

In a Vice article, Isra says that at first, she was primarily concerned with racial justice. She considered gun violence and environmentalism ‘white issues.’ When she learned about how climate change disproportionately affects people of color, though, Isra wanted to build an environmental activist movement that specifically included them.

She believes capitalism and racial environmental justice cannot coexist and has proudly stated her support for more socialist policies in the United States. Her vocal support for socialism and racial justice, as well as her marginalized identities, have made her a target to relentless hate. Despite this, she continues to speak out.

She even has a TikTok to fight injustice everywhere!

Isra is also very active on Twitter and Tiktok, making leftist content through videos with her mom. She continues to navigate being a junior in high school as well as a moderately famous youth activist. For a more in-depth exploration and interview, check out her profile on Vice here!

Second-year at DU majoring in film production and international studies and minoring in Spanish. I am also currently learning Mandarin and I love learning languages! I also sing in the women's choir and DU, love spending time with my friends and watching movies all the time! I also love learning about astrology and philosophy!
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.