This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

In the past, finding a woman in business was an anomaly. These patterns have changed as more and more women defy gender norms in the workplace, but women still face challenges to their success. Here are a few of them that need to be addressed.

1. Must I say it? Gender inequality!

This factor puts the most deadweight on the shoulders of a woman in business. The pervasive extent of gender inequality could make up its very own article. Gender inequality permeates the workplace the most, according to As You Sow, in the unequal pay women receive, how promotions are made, cases of sexual harassment and racism, and the culture work environments have. It’s an enormous issue that gets in the way of a woman’s success. 

2. Limited resources and funding

Women who want to start their own businesses have a much more difficult time obtaining funding than men do. In the very common case that no one is willing to fund a woman’s business idea, she is often left to her own devices. She may have to fund a business idea with her own credit card debt or by taking out loans. It can be risky and detrimental to her finances, but a lot of women have to take this gamble to realize their visions. 

3. The expectation that a woman must do it all

Women have always been expected to take care of household responsibilities on top of any others she may have outside of the home. There are a growing number of women entering the workforce, but the expectation that a woman must put her all into her family, marriage, and everything else hasn’t lessened any. Instead, many women feel more overwhelmed than they were before. The working woman has to deal with stresses coming from every part of her life, and it can take a toll on her home and work spaces. 

4. Underrepresentation of women in STEM fields

According to the Hult International Business School, two years ago, women made up only 24 percent of the workforce in industries such as science, technology, engineering, and math. While this number is steadily growing, a large gap between men and women remains. STEM is a fast-growing field with jobs that have some of the best pay, so it is important for women to not feel discouraged from going into these industries. STEM is not owned by men! 

This list of challenges women face in the business realm isn’t exhaustive. When an individual wants to start their own business, there are bound to be numerous hurdles. But there seems to be more challenges for women. While the disparities may be slowly closing, these major problems aren’t being solved quickly enough. We have to remain aware of them, so we can begin to address these inequalities. 

Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.