Can’t Stop Drinking Beyonce’s Lemonade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

When life gives Beyonce lemons, she makes lemonade, and then dumps that lemonade all over Jay-Z.

We cannot stop talking about Lemonade – we are either pissed at Jay, pissed at Bey, or just want to know who “Becky with the good hair is.” Please note – “Becky” is not Rachel Ray – it is Rachel Roy (the woman behind the fire that broke out between Solange and Jay in the Met Gala elevator…doesn’t it all make sense now?). So, we all need to stop hating on Rachel Ray’s 30 minute meals and unseemly love for olive oil. The girl just wants to cook, man.

It goes without saying that we are all MORTIFIED that anyone could cheat on Bey. Are love and monogymy even real? …Probably not. For all of you ladies who have been cheated on, I want to say two things:

1. You are a strong, independent woman who needs NO man!

2. Don’t you wish you had the power to internationally shame that fool like Bey did Jay?

In the visual phenomenon that is Lemonade, Bey takes us through her stages of accepting Jay’s wicked ways: Intuition, Denial, Apathy, Reformation, Forgiveness, Hope, and Redemption. Serena Williams even stops by to show her love for Bey and leave us all feeling a little terrified and a whole lot of envious over her thighs. Queen Bey takes the time during her display of grief and rage to take a stand for female empowerment and black rights. Even during hard times, the Queen takes care of her kingdom. 

But, we have to admit, it is a little hard to keep sipping on this feminist lemonade when the album was first released exclusively on Tidal and was produced in part by Jay himself. Bey still believes in putting everything a lying man owns in the box to the left…right?

At the end of the day, you can be mad, sad, happy, or confused about the album. But one thing we can agree on is this: we all need to invest in a baseball bat named Hot Sauce to get a little crazy with. 

Alicia is a recent graduate from the University of Denver where she earned her degree in Economics and Gender & Women's Studies. She can always be found with a cup of coffee in her hand and is likely to be caught singing 90s R&B throughout the day. Now exploring her next steps in life, she is taking fashion courses at the Parsons New School of Design and planning out her graduate school and career moves. She is inspired by the writings of Roxanne Gay, the style of Alexa Chung, and the lifestyle of Grace Coddington.