This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Let’s face it, Tina Fey is worthy of a girl crush for what seems like too many reasons. She’s intelligent, beautiful, hilarious and successful. She’s even a bestselling author.

Don’t believe me? Ask the New York Times.

Her book, Bossypants, released in 2011 sold over one millions copies and counting. I may be hopping on the Fey bandwagon a little late, but trust me, when it comes to Tina, it’s better late than never.  Bossypants is like a beginner’s guide to being a successful woman. Fey covers topics ranging from unfortunately embarrassing period stories, boys, what it’s like to be a woman in comedy, to how women should treat other women.

Some of my favorite stories from Fey’s autobiography include those of her early years, before the fame. Not many people know that Tina started her improv career in Chicago, but even before that, she worked at the YMCA. Knowing this, made her more human to me. Fey reassures us that just because we don’t make it big right way, doesn’t mean we aren’t going to. We have time. Fey also addresses issues that affect all women at some point, such as weight. Her advice? “We should leave people alone about their weight. Being chubby for while (provided you don’t give yourself diabetes) is a natural phase of life and nothing to be ashamed of. Like puberty or slowly turning into a Republican”. Fey inspires us all to handle the haters with grace.

One of the most important lessons I learned from Fey was to collaborate with other women, not compete. Her career advice for young women is this, “People are going to try to trick you. To make you feel that you are in competition with one and other. Don’t be fooled. You’re not in competition with other women. You’re in competition with everyone”.

Her book is laden with golden nuggets of advice. If you like sarcasm, humor, women empowering women, and embarrassing stories, read Bossypants. You won’t regret it!

Here’s some more quotes from Bossypants that will transform you into Tina Fey’s Number One Fan immediately:

• “If you retain nothing else, always remember the most important rule of beauty, which is: Who cares?”

• “Some people say, ‘Never let them see you cry’. I say, if you’re so mad you could just cry, then cry. It terrifies everyone.”

• “Don’t waste your energy trying to change opinions. Do your thing, and don’t care if they like it.”

• “I was a little excited but mostly blorft. “Blorft” is an adjective I just made up that means ‘Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.’ I have been blorft every day for the past seven years.”

• “There are no mistakes, only opportunities”.
Third Year, Communication Studies and Journalism Major at the University of Denver. If this were a dating website I would tell you that I love long walks on the beach and romanitic coffee dates in hipster cafes.Sadly it's not, so I'll just tell you that I love Netflix, days where I don't need to put on pants, and my squad goals consist of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting the Golden Globes.