mcdhamo ec121 hjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mcdhamo ec121 hjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
EW

Album Review: Miley Cyrus’ “Plastic Hearts”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

It’s been three years since Miley Cyrus released a full-length album, and this new one has polar opposite vibes compared to her old work. While Cyrus’ previous album included the downtempo beach song “Malibu,” Plastic Hearts contains the angsty hit “Midnight Sky.” Released November 27, Plastic Hearts is at the top of the pop charts and all genre charts. In the pop world, her album is #1 and she has 5 songs within the Top 40 on iTunes (as of December 2). 

Some may say that this rock ‘n’ roll album has been a long time coming, while others may still see Cyrus as a Disney pop princess. I am in the first boat––Cyrus’ voice in all its raspy glory is perfect for a rock album, and it’s just what 2020 needed!

The album begins with an angry track titled, “WTF Do I Know” that simply sets the tone for the rest of the album. She spends the song asking what people expect of her, and answers with the title name, “WTF Do I Know.” Instead of a bridge, there is a guitar solo that is fitting for the questions she is asking of the audience and herself. 

miley cyrus
Miley Cyrus / Giphy
The title track has been stuck in my head for the past few days. The rhythm is backed by a steady drum beat––there’s no way you can’t at least hum along to this. Although the lyrics are a bit heavy, “I just wanna feel something,” it reveals a vulnerable side of Cyrus. 

Of course, Cyrus had many things in mind on how to save 2020 with this album; it contains a duet with Dua Lipa, another with Billy Idol, and a third with Joan Jett. “Prisoner” (feat. Dua Lipa) has also been living in my mind rent-free, as the harmonies of the two raspy voices and the 80’s rock-inspired beat add up to an instant classic. “Night Crawling” (feat. Billy Idol) heavily leans on influences of rock, but also has the modern vibe that only Cyrus can contribute. “Bad Karma” (feat. Joan Jett) has a simple drumbeat, giving the two artists space to reflect on what bad karma is all within a 90’s grunge punk rock vibe. 

As the cherry on top of this beautiful sundae of an album, Cyrus included two covers of rock classics: “Heart of Glass” by Blondie and “Zombie” by The Cranberries. These covers reveal Cyrus’ true talent and potential (as if that needed to be proven). No matter what your opinion is on her, Cyrus has truly proven herself with this incredible genre-breaking album. 

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.