Advice to Incoming Freshman from a Current Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Ah college. The transition from high school to college is certainly like none other, and it certainly takes a while to get adjusted, but with the right mindset, it can also be an amazing time. So, without further ado, here is my advice based on my freshman experiences (and some pictures from the year as well).

1. Sleep

One of the most important things to keep in mind, it to take care of your body, and you cannot do that without sleep. Trust me, it will be worth it to keep a sleep schedule and stick to it.

1. Keep in touch with your high school friends (but only if you want to)

It is so easy to lose touch with those you really cared about in high school once you get to college. There are many people whom I have not talked to in a year, but it is so nice to have friends in my hometown. They have been some of my biggest supporters throughout high school, and not talking to them just would not feel right.

1. Your parents can be extremely helpful

Living on your own is not easy, and it is so nice to have someone always on your side. My parents have helped me quite a bit, and I still talk to them on a regular basis.

1. Join a club, sport, or activity

Joining clubs and getting involved is a great way to make friends, but don’t overload yourself with too many clubs. You want to make sure to still have time to do homework, and time to yourself. But have a little fun, and do something you enjoy with a club.

1.  Go to class

Even those pesky “optional” classes because in the end, it will help you more than hurt you

1. Bring Emergen-C, medications, and a lot of hand sanitizer

College kids are gross.

1. Go to school sponsored events

Usually, school sponsored events are free, and you do not want to miss out on that.

1. It is okay to not know what you want to do with your life

I have no idea what I am going to do, but I still have the rest of my life to figure it out.

1. Bring some snacks

The dining hall may not always be great, and they usually have limited hours, so having some snacks in your dorm is good to have.

1. Be yourself and have fun!

It will be a great year, I’m sure of it.