Adulting: There is No Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

As college students, we all try to figure out this whole “adulting” thing that our elders seem to do so easily. The more we grow into legal adults and take on greater responsibilities, we begin to realize that this adulting thing has been figured out by almost no one. There is no simple guide to being an adult. Sure, there are many self-help guides about how to live a certain way, and even more sources on how to live correctly as an adult, but really no one knows 100 percent what they are doing or what their plans are. 

On average, about half of the student body entering college has no clue what they want to major in, and about 50-70% of students change their major 3 times before graduating. Finally, upon graduation, about half of the student body pursues a career within a field not related to their major degree. Clearly, we do not know what were are doing now, and that doesn’t seem to change too much in later adulthood.

From promotions to new jobs to new locations to maybe being a parent, adults constantly face changing environments that warrant new perspectives. So, the next time you feel stressed out about your future or feel like you are not being a “good” adult, remember that no one really knows what they’re doing.

We’re all human, and we’re all trying to figure this shit out. 
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.