This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

As cliché as it sounds, I am a small-town girl in a big city. I am from Northern New Mexico, where the fashion is Ariat hats and Pit Vipers. I live only thirty minutes away from Colorado, so I can basically claim the residency; however, the Colorado I live close to is very rural, a relatively blank area filled with Subaru’s suffocated by various stickers. My choice to move to Denver was highly supported by the geographical location. I was ready to experience city living but not quite enough to give up the country scene.

The city side of Denver includes a large movie theatre and mall. I am now being exposed to 3D movies with reclining chairs and shopping malls with valet instead of theatres that seat fifteen audience members and a simple JC Penny and Hallmark combined store. It almost feels as if living in a small town is like living ten years behind everyone else.

Being a young woman driving 70mph in her small Nissan alongside the numerous Model X Teslas, the scenic drive before approaching Denver made me feel so free. One of the first things I had to do in Denver was go shopping. Of course, I immediately went to the Super Target. While the city has so much more to offer than a Super Target, it was simply my first stop. Not only did I notice the abundance of stores, but I also noticed the nature. Although there is a lot of cement, there are also places around Denver that you can go to enjoy nature. My favorite place is Washington Park. There is a big pond with many ducks that make the place so enjoyable. Not only are there ducks, but the atmosphere is very family friendly, and it is overall a safe place to go.

photo challenge
Original photo by Jojo Greenwood

Another spot near Denver I go to to enjoy the beautiful outdoor scenery is Lookout Mountain in Golden, CO. On the top of the mountain, there is a fantastic overlook of Golden. This is the type of spot where I would use the phrase, “Oh, I know a place.” When I went to go see it for the first time, it was snowing lightly. The snowy town below looked like the fictional town of Whoville.

Denver has a variety to offer, but it’s all about what you choose to do with its options. I still found my nature and countryside views near the city. When I choose to go to peaceful locations, I use my time to wind down and reflect on everything happening at the time. One of my best reflections is realizing how grateful I was to find a city that had exactly what I was looking for- including a Super Target.

Still navigating the HerCampus world, happy to be here.