This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

With classes back in full swing, and social distancing still in place, we could all use a good book recommendation to help wind down after a long day of working from home. These are my top 5 books by powerful women, for powerful women, to bring out your inner boss-babe.

Once Upon a River by Bonnie Jo Campbell

One of my all-time favorite novels, this book follows the story of a sixteen-year-old girl, Margo Crane, who goes out in search of her turbulent mother after the death of her father. Margo’s story will give you all the emotions, but mostly, you will fall in love with this young heroine along her adventure-filled journey to find a home within herself.

The Middle Finger Project by Ash Ambirge

This is the book for all the aspiring boss-biz-babes. The author, Ash, tells her inspiring story of how she pulled herself out of an abusive relationship and turned hitting rock-bottom into making six-figures from starting her own online business. Ash gives the raw, honest truth about how to get taken seriously as a businesswoman in today’s world (often punctuated with swear words and witty made-up phrases). She will help you realize not only your self-worth but also the worth of your wildest ideas and dreams. 

Women of Resistance: Poems for a New Feminism edited by Danielle Barnhart & Iris Mahan

This is a collection of poems by various women in their fight against the patriarchy, and to help the rest of us deal with the ever-evolving BS of fighting sexism in today’s world. An intersectional book with women, men, queers, and inter-sexuals writing about their experiences and who are here to tell you that you aren’t alone in your struggle or your anger. All proceeds from the book go toward Planned Parenthood and the Center for Reproductive Rights. 

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

This funny, emotional, and relatable nature memoir about a woman hiking the pacific crest trail alone after the passing of her mother will leave you feeling like you can take on anything. Her emotion is apparent and raw, and her prose is sharp in describing her adventures backpacking alone in the wilderness for the first time. (Adventures like accidentally dropping her hiking boot off a cliff!) You’ll put down this book ready to head to the mountains for a weekend of rejuvenation and reflection. 

The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

By far my favorite book I read in 2020, The Alice Network is a historical fiction novel based on the real lives of women spies during World War II. The lives of three very real women spies are brought to life in this tale of bravery, friendship, and war. Gut-wrenching and keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat writing will have you gripping its pages long into the night. 

Best described as a book loving, wine enthusiast, beach going mountain gal. I'm a Senior at the University of Denver pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing with a minor in Sustainability. Hoping to share my best book recommendations and *wisdom* with ladies everywhere!
I am a Senior at the University of Denver studying Communication Studies, Marketing, and Writing Practices. I love photography, exercise, reading, and trying new foods. I am currently one of the CC's here at HCDU.