This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

SUMMER IS ALMOST HERE!

I mean it’s still week 10, so for now we have to continue watching all our friends upload photos to their “Summer 2K15” FB albums…

But I’m sure you’re all counting down the days until you’re laying out poolside or on the sand to get your tan on! Before you start lathering up on all that baby oil, make sure to check out these 4 tips for the best summer skin!

1. DON’T USE TANNING BEDS!

People who use tanning beds under the age of 30 increase their risk of melanoma by 75%. They’re also 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma (other forms of skin cancer). Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer, but the other cancers can kill as well.

2. USE SUNSCREEN!

Make sure your sunscreen consists of a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 and says “broad-spectrum” on the label, which means it protects against the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. Put it on at least 15 minutes before going outside. Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours or more often if you’re sweating or swimming. 

3. WEAR A HAT AND SUNSCREEN! Protect your face! [it’s too pretty not to!]

The minimum amount you need to protect your whole face is at least half a teaspoon of sunscreen and an ounce (or about a shot glass) for your body. It’s important to remember that you should put more on than you think you need! 

4. ENJOY THE SUNSHINE!

Don’t worry! Sun exposure is important to our health and well-being, as it’s one of the few ways we can get vitamin D.  The miracle vitamin D helps with muscle strength and builds bones. The doc recommends 15 to 30 minutes (max) of unprotected sun exposure. As long as you’re smart and know your limits, sunlight can be healthy!