books on a bookshelf

4 Books You Should Definitely Read

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% our own.

In honor of Literary Week, I’ve compiled a short list of my favorite books. As college students, reading for fun isn’t always on the top of our to-do list (or even on the list at all). But I’ve found that taking a break from the dull content of class textbooks can be extremely relieving and increase your reading comprehension. Take a break, and check out these exciting and captivating novels: 

1. 1. "Girl In Snow" by Danya Kukafka

Although the online reviews aren’t promising, I personally enjoyed this book. The character development was fantastic. Each chapter is narrated through a different perspective, so the book never fails to entertain. Kukafka, a very talented writer, expertly uses descriptive imagery and detailed metaphor. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery novel!

2. 2. "All the Bright Places" by Jennifer Niven

I had to add a young adult (YA) novel in here for the teen romance fans. The movie version of this novel was recently released on Netflix. In my humble opinion, I think the novel was much better than the film (but I suppose that is for you to decide). The book went into more detail about the characters and their inner thoughts than the film did, which I think allowed the reader to become more invested in Finch and Violet’s relationship. This book covers difficult subjects such as grief, depression, and loss, so I liked how honest and realistic this novel was. It is far from being the sugar-coated love story that YA novels typically depict. 

3. 3. "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides

In this great mystery-thriller, Michaelides does an amazing job at building up suspense and leading into a jaw-dropping moment at the end of the novel. All the puzzle pieces connect in the last few chapters, and it is an immensely satisfying and insane experience as a reader. The middle of the book was a little dull, but it is worth finishing – I promise. 

4. 4. "Bluets" by Maggie Nelson 

This book is a quirky mix of poetry and prose. It is structured in numbered lists instead of chapters, so it reads differently than most novels. I often had to stop reading just to exclaim out loud how beautifully written the novel was. Bonus points for the length as well – it’s pretty short but packed with metaphors and imagery. Nelson is a fantastic writer, and I definitely recommend her other books like Jane: A Murder.