Amelia Kramer-Coffee Shop Date Booke Glasses Latte Cozy
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus

3 Books/Series to Read When You’re in a Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

We’ve all been there before – that feeling when you want to read but can’t find anything that sparks your interest. Or, even worse, in my opinion, you have a book to read but can’t seem to become invested in the story.

Well, have no fear! Below, I have listed two amazing trilogies and one stand-alone novel that I’m sure will capture your interest.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

This stand-alone novel is the origin story of the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland and I LOVE it!

It focuses on Catherine, the most desired girl in Wonderland, as she deals with her mother, who is encouraging her to marry the eager King of Hearts. In reality, all Catherine wants is to open her own bakery with her best friend. That is until she meets Jest the court joker, and everything changes. The two embark on a secret courtship, intending to run off together one day. Yet, not everything is a happily ever after in this Wonderland and fate has plans of its own for Cath and Jest…

This novel has everything you could want from a YA fairytale rewrite – love, revenge, sadness, and more – all wrapped in the magical world of Wonderland.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

This trilogy, I believe, is a must-read for any young adult. But don’t get me wrong, this is NOT a YA novel at all.

Book one focuses on Quentin Coldwater, a depressed high school senior who is desperately in love with his best friend. He is not excited for the next steps in life, despite how intelligent he is. In reality, he is still enveloped in the magical fictional world of Fillory that originates from a book series he read repeatedly throughout his childhood. You can imagine his delight when he was invited to apply to a very secret, very exclusive college of magic named Brakebills University. Quentin goes through his college days experiencing everything any college student would, along with learning real life-changing magic. Upon graduation, he finds himself lost and depressed again. That is until he and his friends discover that Fillory is in fact, real.

This coming-of-age trilogy has something in it for anyone – college parties and mistakes, fantastic lands, murderous beasts – everything! However, there are some scenes that should definitely come with trigger warnings in the second book specifically, so please make sure to do your research and take care of yourself.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Now, I know what you’re probably thinking: “I read that when I was 12!” Well, hold your horses, because I’ve got some serious logic behind this recommendation!

On May 19th, 2020 (this year!), Suzanne Collins is going to release a prequel novel to this trilogy, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. So, I’m recommending that you (re)read the trilogy in preparation!

In the dystopian world of Panem, the people are divided into 12 districts, each one specializing in a specific product. The Capitol is the force keeping the districts divided and under control. Every year they randomly pick one male and one female from each district to compete in the deadly Hunger Games. Our 16-year-old heroine Katniss Everdeen ends up volunteering to be her district’s female tribute, all to save her 12-year-old sister who was originally chosen. In the time following, Katniss learns the difference between survival and humanity and life and love.

Not only is this a quick read, but you’ll spend the entire time rooting Katniss on. Plus, you’ll be all caught up when it’s time for the prequel!

Happy reading this month! 

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!
Currently a graduate from the University of Denver with a BS in Psychology (concentration: cognitive neuroscience) and BA in Spanish. With a passion for learning, she enjoys understanding more the world, others, and herself. She absolutely loves her orange hair, being a woman, traveling, languages, and exploring new ideas and cultures. Also, she's in the #girlgang for life.