This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

It’s midterm szn, which means tests, cramming, and the dreaded group project. We decided to procrastinate on our projects by forcing ourselves into a group project. The irony is not lost on us. Not gonna lie, it was a lot better than the usual stuff. Here’s twelve things we hate about group projects.

1. They’re usually major projects that 40% of your grade depends on

Group projects are notorious for being those crucial assignments that can make or break your GPA. Tensions are high.

2. Unreliable strangers that your grade is dependent on

You’ve likely never spoken to these people in your life and you’ve already decided that you never will after everything is turned in. You likely don’t mesh and are just waiting for that due date to pass… and hope your grade will too.

3. You usually have less time

For some reason, professors think that more people = less time needed to finish the project. We all know this is horseapples. This is going to be one hectic week.

4. Clashing schedules

It’s a pain just to get you and your friends together, let alone these randos. Likely you’ll all say that you’re free one day, and then there’s that one person who’s like “oh I’m not free then” and you’re in a broken cycle. That being said….

5. You have to usually do it all at one time

As a result, it takes forever to get people to meet up in the AAC on a random Tuesday afternoon that when you’re there, you’d better get everything finished ASAP. Otherwise, you know you’re gonna be the one to say, “It’s okay I got it,” and be alone, finishing at 2 am after three cups of coffee.

6. Unequal amounts of work

Tale as old as time, am I right? There’s always one person who does 99% of the work while the rest of the group is riding on their coattails. Leading to equal credit for unequal effort put in. OR you end up with someone hijacking the project and not letting you participate.

7. There’s always a ghost

Wanna know why one person has to do all the work? Because there’s at least one or two people who don’t seem to exist. You haven’t seen them since Week 1, you thought they dropped the class, and wonder if they even go to DU? Yet they’ll be receiving the same grade as you – hooray.

8. OR there’s a know-it-all

Let’s face it, this person thinks they’re the professor. They don’t listen to any input, and why should they? They obviously know everything and they know it best.

9. They can ruin friendships

The clouds part, the angels sing, your professor is allowing you to pick your group! But this is actually a huge trap because suddenly your bestie who you trust with your life is dragging their feet and you’re stressed af. Either that, or you think everything’s going perfectly and it’s your bestie who’s losing their mind. One or the other, there’s gonna be a little tension there. It’s best to choose a friendly acquaintance for a group member, maybe save besties for brunch.

10. Sometimes professors won’t give you a break

Have you ever heard this: “It’s up to your group to figure things out.” You’ve tried everything to get everyone to start working together and you’re at your wits end. The last resort: ask the professor to move you, move another person, or not let it affect your personal grade. Most professors are chill and are willing to work with you… but every now and then you get that one professor who just doesn’t care and you’re left floundering. Best of luck if you’re in this position, we feel for you.

11. Group messages

The. Worst. Constant buzzing. Unnecessary comments. Stop. Stop it. Please.

12. The group somehow lingers after the project is over

It’s over! Thank goodness, it’s done! Yet, you’re still in that group message. You start getting questions like, “Hey can someone take notes for me?” or “What’s the answer to number six on the homework?” Ugh. Mute that message. Leave if you can. Save yourself.

Hey all! I'm a senior international studies and criminology double major at DU. Graduation is on teh horizon and I'm enjoying my last weeks as an Undergrad.
Hannah Renea "HR" Bumgarner was a contributor for Her Campus DU from January 2018 to November 2019. She is still a member of Campus Trendsetters and adores the empowering and international Her Campus community. During her time, she loved covering topics on culture, news, and clubs on campus. She's currently the president of the largest weekly meeting club on campus, the DU Dungeons & Dragons Club ("DUDAD") and when she's not studying to finish her International Studies degree and running DUDAD, she's contributing to her personal blog. To find more of Hannah Renea's work, feel free to visit her on her various social media accounts listed below. HCXO