Your Guide to Women’s Organizations at Drexel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

Women make up about 48 percent of the student body here at Drexel University. They are dispersed throughout all of the 70 full-time majors offered and are doing incredible things every day. There are several organizations here at Drexel that empower women and give them a support system so they can thrive in any aspect of life. Here are the organizations that are uniting women through similar interests:

General:

• Sororities:  If you are looking to expand your social and professional circle, as well as make tons of memories, take on leadership positions, and be part of a great community, a sorority might be the right fit for you! There is something for everyone, no matter what ethnicity, race, or religion you are, you can find your home away from away!
  • Her Campus Drexel: HerCampus.com is the largest online magazine for female college students, and Drexel has its own chapter. From writing articles, posting on social media, and coordinating events, Her Campus Drexel has a spot on our team for you!
  • Students Advocating Feminism and Equality (SAFE): If you are looking to discuss feminism, gender, and health issues look no further! SAFE is a place where you can discuss any of these topics without judgment or criticism.

Women Empowerment:

• Allarh Mast Jawani- All Girls Bhangra/Giddha Team: AMJ is a Bhangra team that brings together women (both undergraduate and graduate students) who have a passion for Bhagra and Punjabi national dance.
  • Drexel Girl Scouts: Yes, you heard it right! Drexel has its own group of Girl Scouts, and they are actually affiliated with GS of USA! The goal is to help those young girls through guidance from people that have experienced real life situations.
  • Health, Education, and Life for Mothers (HELM): HELM is at the heart of the fight for maternal health on Drexel’s campus. They seek to educate members of the Drexel community about issues related to maternal health and support local organizations who strive to increase maternal health and wellness.
  • Women’s Empowerment at Drexel (WE at Drexel): Increase the confidence of the female student body at Drexel? Yes please! WE at Drexel aims to empower women trough discussions, events, and campaigns that are held on campus.

By Major:

• Drexel Women Entrepreneurs: Drexel Women Entrepreneurs mission is to unify women across campus who are interested in entrepreneurship. Through meetings, volunteering, workshops, and events members learn to be philanthropic leaders with entrepreneurial mindsets.
  • Drexel Women in Business (DWIB): Drexel Women in Business is a joint student organization. The DWIB group will focus on providing its members with the essential resources and opportunities in order to succeed in todays business world with a focus on the female professional.
  • Society of Women Engineers (SWE): SWE is an organization designed to promote women in the engineering fields by providing a support network to its members, professional development opportunities, and community service opportunities.
  • Women in Computing Society (WiCS): The Women in Computing Society (WiCS) is an organization tailored specifically to women in technology-related majors at Drexel University. Its purpose is to support, recruit, and retain women pursuing a degree in the field.
  • Women in Physics Society (WiPS): The objectives of this organization are to promote community among the undergraduate women in physics by organizing events, outreach activities, and providing support for one another.

Athletics:

• Club Women’s Ultimate: This club aims to bring a relaxed environment to enjoy sports while they become more competitive and overall better players.
  • Drexel Club Softball: Playing fast pitch softball is a possibility here at Drexel! Join this team if softball is your passion.
  • Drexel University Women’s Club Basketball (DUWCBB): This team is for those girls out there who want to play in a semi-competitive, organized, intercollegiate basketball team. You will be surrounded by the love and support of your teammates who have the same passion about this sport as you do.
  • Drexel University Women’s Rugby Club (DWR): No matter your skills or knowledge on this sport, you will still be welcome to play rugby! You will learn all you need to know and will be able to practice and have fun upon joining.
  • Drexel Women’s Club Lacrosse (WCL): This club lacrosse team is an outlet for young women to play on an intercollegiate term during both fall and spring terms.
  • Drexel Women’s Club Soccer (DUWCS): If you can’t commit to a varsity team, but love soccer, this might be the place for you! DUWCS is a group where you can play soccer at a competitive level without committing a huge amount of time. The team focuses on personal skills and fitness, a love for soccer, and of course, fun!
  • Drexel Women’s Club Volleyball (DWCVB): DWCVB competes during the fall and winter in the North East Women’s Volleyball Club League, which is comprised of schools throughout the region.

For Graduates:

• American Medical Women’s Association at Drexel (AMWA):This is the perfect club for female graduate students who are interested in the medical and healthcare fields.
  • Drexel Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (DGWISE): DGWISE helps graduate women increase their representation in the science and engineering tracks at Drexel University.

Whether you are looking to meet new people that share similar interests with you, if you want to play a sport and be supported by other kick-a** athletes, or you just want to do well in your major, you should head to Dragon Link to find out more about these amazing organizations that are dedicated to women.

Orly is a Venezuelan senior at Drexel University majoring in Public Relations and double minoring in marketing and writing. In her free time, you can find her in a coffee shop writing, color-coding her way through life or binge watching One Tree Hill for the fifth time. She manages HCD's Facebook page as well as their Twitter and hopes to make a career out of social media someday.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.