This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

With the Polar Vortex to worry about, the last thing on our minds is our make up routine…until it’s too late. Hopefully you haven’t suffered from chapped skin/lips and damaged, frizzy hair just yet! Even if you have, there are so many ways that you can reverse those effects from the winter cold and even prevent yourself from having to.

As soon as the temperature drops there are a few things needed other than a super warm coat and some earmuffs. The following items will help you survive this winter and look good while doing so:

1. E.l.f Lip Exfoliator ($3.00)
  2. Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion ($8.00)
  3. Chapstick Hydration Lock ($2.99)
  4. L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream ($12.00)
  5. Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge Moisture Whip Leave in Conditioner ($6.00)
  6. Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Peel Off Skin Silkening Mask ($3.99)
  7. Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil from The Body Shop ($10.80)
  8. Bioderma Photoderm MAX Tinted Cream SPF 50+/UVA 38 ($14)
  9. Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Anti-Frizz Crème ($4.29)
  10. Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub ($5.99)

All of these products are under twenty dollars and can be found easily at your local drugstore or online. As college students, we often skimp out on what is essentially the most important thing- our health. Although it may seem like all of these products are geared toward making us look better, they actually help us to feel better. I know all too well how uncomfortable chapped lips can be and it is so much easier to take a few extra minutes of your day to prevent any harm then to suffer the consequences.

If you are still unsure about using all of these products or you’re not quite sure how each will benefit you, you can narrow it down to only a few. An exfoliator for your skin is essential to get rid of any dead skin that will otherwise be flaky in appearance and preventative in allowing the moisture to settle in from other products. Many people skip the exfoliation step and go straight for the moisturizing and do not see results because the moisturizer can’t do anything if there is a barrier of dead skin in the way. As for your hair, definitely go for the leave in conditioner because that will help with the texture as well as promote shine and eliminate frizz.

Or, is it a brightened appearance you seek? The tinted moisturizer will achieve that and although you may think that your skin doesn’t need protecting from the sun in the winter, that is actually false and an SPF will help your skin stay healthy in the future. For pesky chapped lips, the hydration element will soak in and you will see and feel a recognizable difference. When you’re on the go, a travel sized hand cream will be your best friend, especially on days that you may have left your gloves behind.

These products are truly transformational and a little bit goes a long way. When the wind and cold are beating on our skin, we need to be gentle and soothing to it in return. Luckily, there is more than one benefit of using these items; an added bonus is that of relaxation. The lotions and scrubs all have ingredients that both smell and feel good and leave you feeling refreshed and calmed to make you forget the awful low temperature outside.

Lisa is a senior at Drexel University studying Design and Merchandising. Her favorite things are shopping, reading fashion magazines and daydreaming about London per her recent study abroad trip there. Lisa has an obsession with celebrities and is a wealth of useless knowledge when it comes to pop culture. Adhering to the latest fashion and beauty trends is like a full time job for Lisa- she loves trying every new look and product.
Her Campus Drexel contributor.