This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

You’re probably familiar with the phrase, “hot girl summer.” It was on the radio, it was used as an advertising technique, and it was probably coming out of your friend’s mouths when they tried to justify taking their fourth shot of tequila. But the phrase “hot girl summer” is so much more impactful than most people realize, and the women who coined it is equally as important. 

Standing at 5’10” with flawless makeup, perfect wigs, and the kind of curves that’ll make you want to renew your gym membership. Houston-born rapper Megan Thee Stallion is the new face of sexual liberation and femme power in rap. Strong women in rap (and R&B) is nothing new or unusual — artists like Missy Elliot, Nicki Minaj, Lil’ Kim, and Lauryn Hill paved the way for Megan. Upon first hearing any one of Megan’s hits (Freak Nasty, Cash S**t, Big Ole Freak, Realer), it’s extremely clear that she’s talented. Her flow is unmatched, her beats are catchy; and the inflection and sheer power of her voice inspire power, anger, and above all else, freedom. Being a rapper in 2020, Megan’s lyrics are far from clean — but this is what makes her so great. She raps fearlessly and shamelessly about her own sex appeal, confidence, and her powers over men. 

Meg is also currently in the process of getting her degree, and this is a constant theme in her music. She raps about being a college girl during the day, grinding in order to acquire her degree, while still being able to let loose and have fun on the weekend. Courtesy of her summer track “Hot Girl Summer,” the lyrics “college girl but a freak on the weekend” should be your new go-to Instagram caption. 

But why is her music so important? What is it about Megan Thee Stallion that has inspired an entirely new wave of sexual liberation among women? In “Big Ole Freak,” Megan raps about her hookups with guys, saying, “I’ll f**k him up in the head, Suck it then look in his eyes, Then the next day I might leave ‘em on read.” Megan’s music consistently maintains this theme of remaining unbothered when it comes to men and relationships. She raps about having sex with who she wants, exactly when she wants, but never allowing herself to get played by a man. In other words, the power in the relationship lies with Megan — and there is nothing more refreshing and inspiring than a woman who does not underestimates herself and her abilities. Moreover, Megan’s music is essentially feminist and should not be confused with “man-hating.” Megan has sexual relationships with men, and clearly enjoys doing so — she holds no hatred for them, but she does hold them responsible for their actions. Megan urges her listeners to not wait around for a man and not tolerate any disrespectful behavior. Her raps go into detail about her own sexual preferences, which introduces another important message in her music: women should never be ashamed of their sexual preferences, who they want to have sex with, or how much sex they have. The importance of consent stands, but women should allow themselves to explore their sexuality in any way they see fit.

In “Cocky AF,” Megan raps, “Cocky as f**k, everything ‘bout me poppin’, Got face, I got body, You name it I got it, Cocky as f**k b***h you know I’m conceited.” Meg is a woman who is confident in her appearance, self-worth, and sexuality, as every woman should strive to be. While it is definitely not good to be conceited all the time, a healthy dose of self-confidence and cockiness has never hurt anyone. Listening to Megan’s music will make you look in the mirror, and remind yourself that you are THAT bi***. She’s also a fantastic live performer — click here to watch her episode of NPR’s Tiny Desk Concert series. Every one of her raps instills the importance that how we perceive ourselves has so much to do with how we are perceived by others. So, to women everywhere — believe in your beauty, your sex appeal, your intelligence, and your abilities — and the world will believe it too. 

Drexel 23' Graphic Design
Her Campus Drexel contributor.